1. Brother Part 1

12 years later...

He laid with her on the red blanket, propped up on one arm as they gazed at the starry sky. She looked at him with a small smile, her brown waves falling over shoulders and neck.

"It's beautiful.." She said softly.

He smiled at her, brushing her hair away from her neck, and with his icy blue eyes piercing into her blue orbs, he parted his lips to speak. "I'm sorry, but this whole romantic thing is making me impatient. You are going to forget everything about tonight, and you're not going to suspect a thing about me."

"I'm going to forget, and I won't suspect a thing about you

"I'm going to forget, and I won't suspect a thing about you.." She copied, in a trance.

He covered her mouth and slammed her into the ground before burying his fangs into her neck, her screams muffled.

September 6, 2009

Mystic Falls, Virginia

The Salvatore Boarding Home

Mia stood in front of her closet, her arms crossed as she examined her clothes. It was funny...she had enough clothes to last her the century, yet it felt as though she had nothing to wear. It was her birthday, she wanted to dress up for it. Sighing, the girl tossed a set of clothes onto her bed before walking to her radio. She turned it on and peeled off her shirt with a small gasp of pain. Her head had been pounding since she woke up.

"Mia, hurry up, we don't want to miss the reservation." A voice spoke from outside her door. Zach, her...nephew? Brother? Uncle? Father? She was a little fuzzy on what he was to her. Regardless of his title, he was family. He helped raise her to grow from the little girl that had been found in the woods.

"Don't worry I'll be out in a minute," Mia replied, tugging the shirt over her head. She cried out, pain exploding in her neck. Tears pricked her eyes. Why did her neck hurt so bad? Had she been bitten by something? Burned maybe?

"Mia?! What happened? Are you okay?" Zach asked, worry soaked in his voice.

"I don't know," Mia answered, pulling her jeans up to her waist and buttoning them. She slipped on her shoes and opened the door, pushing past him and walking to the bathroom.

"What's wrong?" Zach asked, following her.

His aunt opened the cabinet and dug through it, searching for pain medicine. She grabbed a bottle and twisted the lid open, then poured a few into her hand. Swallowing them painfully, she put the bottle back and shut the cabinet.

"I don't know, my neck and head just really hurts." Mia told him, pulling her hair into a ponytail.

Zach walked to her, turning her head to the side to examine her neck. "Jesus, when did this happen?"