48. Alive and Kicking

A/N: my mom and I watched the series finale of TVD for the first time and we were sobbing for an entire hour 

September 2, 2012 

New Orleans, Louisiana 

The Mikaelson Compound 

"Once upon a time, there was a majestic king who lived with his noble brother in a kingdom where music and art were celebrated. The king did not foresee having another child, but he lived in an enchanted land where all things were possible. In time, he was blessed with a beautiful baby daughter, for whom he wished only peace. Still, the king had demons who pursued him. There was a ruthless beast who wanted to take the kingdom for her own. Armed with a pack of untamed creatures, she drove the other magical creatures from the land. And, there was a wicked sorceress with enchanted stones that weakened the king every full moon. Seeing the shadow his enemies cast upon his home, the king was driven to send his beloved princess away, convincing all who remained that she was forever lost."

Poppy sat at the bar of the compound as she usually did during the day, as she had every day of the summer. She felt empty, ruined, broken. No bourbon would help, or tequila. Earlier in the summer she had given her friends her number, but she had been ignoring them, except for Alaric, who had been brought back, and Stefan. But she came to realize that if she had called Stefan, his voice would be the same as her fiancé's, so they only texted. Slowly, she lowered her head into her arms and closed her eyes. 

"The king and princess, in their sorrow, turned away from the world. The castle closed its doors, and the kingdom fell. Some say that the only light that shines in the castle illuminates the shadow of the once majestic king in the room meant for his child. But, as the ruthless beasts took rule over the fallen king's realm, little did they know that he and his brother would not rest until their enemies were vanquished. For they believed that one day, they would heal their kingdom and bring their precious princess home so that she might live happily ever after with her sister." 

A/N: Italics are her dream from here until it reads September 3

Her phone vibrated on the bar top, and a notification popped up from 'Ansel'. Poppy looked down at it to read it. 

It's a full moon tonight. Will you be joining us? 

The tribrid rubbed her eyes, quickly looking out the window. The sun was setting on the horizon, giving the sky a pink and orange color. She grabbed her phone and opened it up. 

Yeah, I'll head over now.

She texted in reply before leaving the bar and heading into the courtyard. 

"You've been absent at night," Klaus spoke quietly from behind her, causing her to stop her turn around. His blue eyes were brimmed with tears, and his hair was messed up on top of his head. 

Poppy cleared her throat. "Yeah, I've been going to the Bayou.." 

"Please stay." He pleaded, his voice just above a whisper. 

"And do what?" She asked. "There's nothing here to do except drink and think." Letting out a soft sigh, she ran fingers through her curls. "Look, I already told Ansel I'd go with them tonight...plus it doesn't seem like you know what to say to me.." 

"Fine." Klaus spoke as he watched his daughter turn and walk to the doors. "Go be with your so called werewolf family. You know they don't actually care about you, right?" He bit his tongue, stopping himself from saying any more.