44. The Devil Within Us

January 14, 2012 

Mystic Falls, Virginia

The Salvatore Boarding Home 

The room was quiet, the sound of steady breathing coming from the bed, which appeared to be lonely in the emptiness. Poppy had packed everything, so all of her belongings were in New Orleans. Sunlight poured in from the window, the thin curtain flowing a bit from the slight breeze of the open window. 

Poppy opened her brilliant blue eyes, stifling a yawn as she turned onto her back, the arm that was once laying on her waist now laying over her abdomen. A smile grew on her face and she turned once more, face to face with the man she brought back from the dead. It felt strange, and new, waking up in bed with someone who wasn't her family. She liked it. She liked him. 

"You're staring." Silas spoke, his eyes still closed, but the corner of his lips curling up a bit. 

The Mikaelson-Salvatore smiled more. "How does it feel to be alive?" 

"Well, after I get out and about I'm sure it'd feel amazing." The witch replied, pulling her closer to him. "But right now, I can feel you. I can feel your warmth, and your undead-life. On the Other Side I was just waiting for you to die but this is a lot better." 

"Hmmm..." Poppy hummed in agreement, bringing her lips to his in a soft kiss and closing her eyes. 

Silas smiled in the kiss. "Oh yeah, definitely better." He said in between quick and small kisses, pushing her gently so that her back was pressed against the comfort of the bed and he was hovering over her. He moved his lips to her jawline. "You deserve, like, ten awards." 

"Yeah?" Poppy asked, her cheeks rosy. "What for? I mean I haven't really done anything with my life." 

Silas placed a kiss on her cheek. "You are the strongest, bravest, and most beautiful woman I have ever met. Plus you died three times and came back kicking. Two times you have died to bring others back." He kissed her lips a slow and sweet kiss. After he stood up off of the bed. 

Poppy looked over at him, flustered and her face hot from blushing. She sat up and adjusted her t-shirt. "Where are you going?" 

Silas put on a shirt, which Stefan had given him. "I'm making you breakfast. Stay here, I'll be back." 

Mystic Falls, Virginia 

Town Square 

The day was nice. Matt sat on a park bench, the people around him hanging around happily. Elena approached him from behind and place her hands over his eyes with a smile. 

"Guess who?" She asked with happiness. 

Matt smiled, faking his thought. "Hmmm. I wonder. Elena Gilbert?"

Elena moved her hands from his eyes and smiled more. "Yep" she said, kissing his cheek before laughing and sitting next to him on the bench. 

"You're in a good mood!" 

"Well. It's a good day! We're alive." The Gilbert said, looking around. 

"Yes, we are. We're partying tonight."

"Yes, we are!" She smiled, looking at her lifelong friend. 

"So, what did you want to talk to me about?" Matt asked. 

"Are you still drinking vervain?"

Matt furrowed his eyebrows. "No. I wear this bracelet." He held up his wrist. "In case anyone needs my blood, remember?"