35. Always and Forever

"Over the course of my long life, I have come to believe we are bound forever to those with whom we share blood. And while we may not choose our family, that bond can be our greatest strength or our deepest regret. This unfortunate truth has haunted me for as long as I can recall."

January 1692

Salem, Massachusetts 

Delevingne Williams ran through the snow in the night, her skirt lifted by her hands, which were red from the cold. She took her breaths threw her nose and released them from her chapped lips, her breath to be seen as a fog pouring from her mouth. Her long brown curls bounced as she ran to a small home, which was lit on the inside by a fire. She opened the door and shut it behind herself, shivering. 

"Oh, Abigail, it's as cold as the Devil's heart outside!" She exclaimed, walking towards the fire, where a young girl (who was around 12 years old) sat. 

Abigail looked up at her. "Tituba is to be persecuted soon for her use of witchcraft. Delevingne if they find out about you-" 

Delevingne knelt down, shooshing her younger sister. "Sh, Abigail. I have been cautious in my actions. Please tell me you won't be persecuted through your aid in accusations.." 

"I won't, sister. I promise, I'll be careful." The girl said, looking at the fire. 

"Does Uncle Samuel sleep at this hour?" Delevingne asked, standing up with her sister, holding her hands. 

Abigail nodded."Yes, but he was not pleased when you didn't make it home in time for supper." 

"He'll be fine, I've done it before." Delevingne stated, walking to the door and opening it. She poked her head out. "Niklaus, you may come in! Do hurry, please, it's-"

"Cold?" Klaus finished, after vamp speeding into the room. 

Delevingne turned and shut the door, rubbing her arms for extra warmth. "Oh, Niklaus, don't sneak on a woman like that!" 

Klaus smiled and picked up Abigail in his arms, moving her to sit her on his shoulders. "Are we ready to leave?" He asked as the girl on his shoulders giggled and played with his blonde curls.

"Yes, Niklaus, my bag awaits under my bed." Delevingne replied, smiling a bit. She then frowned. "Abigail wishes to stay."

Klaus furrowed his eyebrows, looking up at Delevingne's little sister. "You do realize the dangers of staying?" He asked her, placing her on her feet. 

"Yes, but the witches here need me." Abigail told him. "I can ensure that the hysteria dies down by making the regulars believe that all of the witches have been persecuted."

Her older sister let out a sigh. "Oh Abigail, always the mature one. Let me retrieve my bag, Niklaus." She spoke, walking quietly to her bedroom, knowing that Klaus followed her. 

Klaus took her hand gently and turned her around. "Delevingne, are you sure of this? Leaving your sister?"

Delevingne nodded, holding his hands. "Yes. I spelled her with protection. She won't be harmed." She furrowed her eyebrows a bit and placed her hand on his cheek. "Niklaus, we both love her dearly but she is safer here with our uncle and cousin." 

Klaus brushed a lock of her curls behind her ear, looking into her brilliant hazel eyes. "Delevingne, are you sure of this?" 

Delevingne averted her eyes elsewhere, mostly at their feet. "Like I said, Niklaus..she won't be harmed."