8. A Dream is a Wish

April 8, 2010

Mystic Falls, Virginia 

The Salvatore Boarding Home 

Against the wall of the youngest Salvatore's bedroom was a vanity, which was made of a dark wood, polished to give it shine. It was decorated in a few fake flowers and her makeup collection, which was somewhat large. She had a makeup addiction, and she wasn't afraid to admit it. Her mirror was outlined in bright studio lights, and Polaroid photos were taped onto the glass. A speaker was glued to the corner of the mirror, an elephant. It was currently playing "Nine in the Afternoon" by Panic! at the Disco at half volume. 

Poppy walked in front of the vanity, examining her outfit; a royal blue blouse, a jean skirt over black leggings, and black suede flats. Over her top she had on a leather jacket with a faux wool interior for warmth. She smiled, her shoulders and curls bouncing to the beat of the song. 

"Back to the street where we began, feeling as good as lovers can, you know." Poppy sang along, applying lotion to her face. "Yeah we're feeling so good." 

Picking up things we shouldn't read

The girl grabbed a book from her bed, a book she had gotten from the school library, Fleur de Sang. She placed it inside her backpack. 

"Looks like the end of history as we know." Poppy sang softly. "It's just the end of the world!" She zipped up her backpack and laid it on her bed with a soft sigh. She spun around and walked back to her vanity, spraying perfume on her neck. "Back to the street, down to our feet, losin' the feeling of feeling unique. Do yo-" she spun around, only to see Elena's doppelgänger in the door, dressed as Elena. 

Poppy rolled her eyes, then narrowed them. "How childish can you be?"

"Oh, don't stop your performance because of me." Katherine smirked. "I was enjoying it." She said sarcastically. 

Poppy rolled her eyes, grabbing her phone and turning off the music. "What do you want, Katherine?" 

Katherine, who had been leaning against the doorway, stood straight. "Just to say good morning. Your backpack is unzipped by the way." 

Poppy mentally groaned. "No it's not, I just zipped it." 

Katherine rolled her eyes and walked to the backpack, which was indeed unzipped. She grabbed the book out and examined it. "Oh, Fleur de Sang? I've heard this story many times. So many times it's basically real." 

"Stay out of my stuff!" Poppy ripped the book from the vampire's hands and placed it back in her backpack. She zipped it up forcefully. "Get. Out."

Katherine smiled. "With pleasure." She spun around, but didn't go anywhere. She rested a hand on the doorway and looked at the human. "How was your trip to New Orleans?" She asked. 

Poppy looked at her. "I didn't go to New Orleans." 

The vampire raised an eyebrow. "Surely you remember dancing in the street with your friend, and finding out a little someone has been sending people to spy on you?"

Poppy rolled her eyes and slung her backpack onto her shoulders. "I don't have time for your games, Katherine." 

"I'm not playing." Katherine stated. "If I were you, I'd watch your back. You never know who could be watching you." She finally left the room with a straight face. 

Poppy huffed and followed, shutting her bedroom door and heading to the kitchen. 

In the parlor a soft fire was burning in the fireplace, filling the room with a soft glow to aid the rising sun's light. On the couch was a relaxed Damon Salvatore, who was examining pages from Jonathan Gilbert's journal, while taking of sip of bourbon.