30. Who Are You

Writing late at night is hard. Thank the heavens for autocorrect.

"You will no longer suffer from past events.." Niklaus told his daughter, looking into her broken brown eyes, and just like that, she was at peace. 

Weeks later. 

Poppy walked into the dining room, placing a large plate of food on the table, humming a soft tune. She had made a few hams--one coated with maple on the exterior, another coated with garlic butter, and the other baked in bourbon--and mashed potatoes. She smiled triumphantly before sitting down and serving herself some food. 

"That's quiet the feast for one person." Klaus remarked from the doorway. 

Poppy looked up at him, slowly scooping a spoon of potatoes onto her plate. "Well, I've got to practice making food for Thanksgiving, seeing as though it's going to be my final one here in Mystic Falls.

Klaus dropped his smile. "What do you mean?"

Poppy stood up and walked to him, reaching out to hold his hands. "I'm 18, Dad. And I'm a high school drop out." She told him. "I love you, and I'm happy because of you, but it's time for the duckling to leave the pond." 

"I don't think that's a saying." Klaus said. 

"Well," she smiled. "It is now. Anyways, I plan on leaving next week to New Orleans, Cami already has a job for me. Come eat with me." 

Klaus followed his daughter to the table and sat down, looking at the food. "Ham?"

Poppy nodded as he began to make his plate. "I stopped liking the taste of turkey when I was ten, so Stefan and I started eating ham." She cut a piece of her hand with her fork and stuck it in her mouth.

"And what kind are they?" The Original Hybrid inquired. 

Poppy swallowed. "Bourbon, maple, and garlic butter."

Klaus nodded, taking a bite of one. He smiled at the flavor, proudly. "Who taught you to cook?"

"Cami taught me here and there, but other than that, Zach and Stefan." Poppy replied, trying the mashed potatoes. 

The two ate in silence for a few minutes, enjoying each other's company. 

"Do you have to leave?"

Poppy let out a sigh, lowering her fork. "Dad. I want to travel and see new people. No drama included. I miss New Orleans.." She paused for a quick moment. "I already have everything planned out. I'll work at the bar at night, be an artist on the street during the day. Cami has room at her place so I'll be staying there. I'll make some human friends and maybe, someday, you can join me back at home. Our real home."

Klaus set down his fork. "Have you ever thought of joining a pack?" 

"What would I even do in a pack?" Poppy asked. "Odds are they wouldn't accept me because I'm a Mikaelson hybrid."

"Then become their queen." Klaus told her as if it were an easy task. 

Poppy furrowed her eyebrows. "Yeah, way easier said than done."

Klaus leaned forward in his seat, looking into her eyes. "You're a Mikaelson. Act like it." 

❌❌❌

Poppy stood in the living room of the Lockwood mansion, catching the football that Tyler had tossed to her. She smiled, pulling her arm back and tossing it across the room for him to catch, which he did. She quickly adjusted her ponytail.