6. King

April 4, 2010

New Orleans, Louisiana

The Compound

"They were wrong to keep you out of the loop, Poppy." Marcel told Mia, standing in the doorway of the bedroom he provided to the girl. She had told him everything, minus the whole vampire thing.

'Poppy' looked up at him, towel drying her hair as she sat on the bed, she had just taken a shower. She didn't say anything.

"Your nose looks pretty bad." The man stated.

"Yeah, hurts too.." She mumbled. "But unless you're a vampire with magical healing blood then it's something I'm going to have to live with it for a while." She smirked, half joking.

Marcel chuckled a bit, but wondered how she knew of vampires. Perhaps he was over thinking. "I don't think magical would be the correct term in that situation."

Poppy smiled, letting out a small laugh. "No, I suppose not." She then frowned a bit, in rememberance of her family back in Mystic Falls.

She missed him, Stefan. He raised her, but part of her didn't want to go back home. They, the brothers, kept her out of the loop, made her stay home or go to school. She got her information from Caroline during hangouts at the Grill. She despised it, it made her feel sick and unworthy..unwanted.

For the time being, she wanted to focus on her biological family, her father. She wondered what vampire would compel her, and why.

Marcel released a small sigh from his lips and crossed his arms, and it was then that Poppy realized she was no longer smiling.

"Sorry, I just-I-" she tried to find an excuse.

"Something tells me you know a little something of vampires." The man told her.

Poppy snapped her head up at him. "What do you know of vampires?"

Marcel chuckled and walked to her. "Sweetheart, I've been a vampire for a long time."

Poppy immediately moved her body back into the bed in fear. Her breathing quickened.

The vampire frowned. "I'm not going to hurt you, Poppy." He spoke before raising his arm to his lips, sinking his fangs into his skin. He pulled it away and held his arm out.

Poppy glanced at his wrist, taking small and quick breaths.

"Sweetheart, breathe, I'm only trying to help." He said calmly and softly, kneeling on the bed. He smiled a bit as Poppy brought his wrist to her lips and began drinking. He watched as she began to heal.

She quickly pulled away, disgusted by the taste. "Why are you helping me?"

"Because you're a kid, and I'm against people hurting kids." The vampire told her, grabbing a cloth and cleaning the blood from his wrist.

The pair remained silent for a few minutes, Poppy rubbing her hair with the towel, and Marcel watching out the window. The girl looked over at a piece of paper at the edge of the bed and grabbed it.

'Stefan and Damon are coming to get you. -Bonnie'

She let out a sigh. "Um, I guess my brothers are on their way..." She spoke, breaking the silence.

Marcel looked over at her. "Where are your parents?"

Poppy bit her lip and looked away. She only shrugged.

"Touchy subject, I assume?"

She nodded and looked at him. "All I know is that a vampire compelled me to forget them, then left me in the woods. Stefan, a vampire, found me and raised me. It wasn't until recently that I've heard word from my father."