23. The New Deal Part 1

September 25, 2010

Mystic Falls, Virginia 

The Lockwood Mansion

Poppy stayed in bed for around two weeks, her condition growing worse each day. It started with the coughing, then the blood, and then the vomiting, which was always accompanied by weakness. But more recently came the hallucinations, caused but the black veins, which had spread from the mark to her neck and chest. 

Poppy opened her eyes a bit, light pouring into the bedroom. She had been staying in the Lockwood Mansion with her father, they had kinda taken over the home while their own was being built. Klaus had wanted a peaceful environment for his daughter. 

She turned onto her side, facing away from the window, as he walked over to her, feeling her cheeks with a small frown. She had a burning fever.

"Good morning, my love." He greeted softly, adjusting her pillows and blankets. "Are you ready for your medicine?"

Poppy let out a small groan, but nodded a tad. She hadn't liked the medicine-a mixture of herbs and roots she had created when she only experienced the coughing-but it was slowing Mikael's infection. 

Klaus walked over to the dresser, where he picked up a few herbs between his fingers and dropped them into a small glass of water, followed by a cube of root. He mixed them around with a spoon and set it down on the dresser. 

When he turned around, glass in hand, Poppy stood by the window, closing the blinds with her trembling hands. He swiftly set down the glass and vamped over to her, holding his arm out to offer support. 

Poppy rubbed her eyes, then took his arm with a tight grip. 

"Was the light hurting your eyes?" Niklaus inquired, walking her over to the bed slowly. 

"No," Poppy told him, holding back a cough. "I just get tired of seeing the same thing over and over." 

"Well, let's go into town, then. You can join me in my quest to rescue our family" He spoke as he sat her down, handing her the medicinal water. "Drink up, then get changed. We'll leave when you're ready." 

Poppy quickly swallowed the contents of the glass as her father left the room.

A bit later, the younger hybrid stood at the dresser, looking through her grandmother's grimoire for a spell to strengthen herself. There was no way she'd be able to last the day without it. However, the letters on the pages seemed to dance and jump out at her. She let out a sigh of frustration, picking up the book and handing it to her father, who had just entered the room. 

"Find me a self-strengthening spell, please." Rubbing her eyes, she walked to the bed and sat down. 

Klaus flipped through the book, his eyes scanning the pages. "Have we not practiced one yet?"

"No." Poppy shook her head. 

"Hm.." Klaus flipped the pages, stopping when he found what they were looking for. "All right, love, are you ready?"

His daughter nodded. "Yeah."

"Phasmatos invocus super firmamentam mium." Klaus read aloud to her. 

"Phasmatos..." Poppy began, closing her eyes. 

"Invocus super firmamentam mium." 

"Phasmatos invocus super firma-firma..ugh." Poppy huffed in frustration.

Klaus took her hand gently. "Relax, my little flower. Take a deep breath." He watched as his daughter breathed in, her chest rising and falling slowly. "All right, now let's try again. Phasmatos invocus super firmamentam mium."