12. The Last Day

Hi! So I'm not entirely sure about this chapter. I almost skipped this episode, because it was mostly just Stelena, but Klaus does appear in all his glory. Yes, there will be some Klaus and Poppy moments. I hope you enjoy!

New Orleans, 1919 

The party was filled with jazz, laughter, and the clinking of glasses against others and the tables. Rebekah Mikaelson sat with her friends, witches Clara and Genevieve. Elijah stood with his brother, Niklaus, admiring the party before him. Klaus, on the other hand, was preoccupied by his daughter, who was tugging at his pant leg. She was the light of his life. 

"May I help you, my love?" He asked with a smile and a playful tone, looking down at her. 

Poppy smiled, giggling. "Daddy, may I please get some water?" She asked. 

Niklaus nodded. "Of course, princess." He turned and grabbed her cup (a mini wine glass) from the table behind him. He knelt in front of her and handed her the glass. "Now I'm going to give you some very important instructions, are you ready?" 

Poppy nodded, smiling. 

"The water is in a large bowl at that far table, past Rebekah. When you get there, I want you to ask the very kind lady to give you some water. All right?"  

Poppy nodded. "Thank you, Daddy!" She turned and ran to the far table, holding her glass close to her small figure. She was careful not to trip of her skirt. She climbed up onto a chair and looked at the lady serving drinks. 

"Excuse me, miss?" She squeaked out. 

The lady looked at her and gave her a smile. "What can I do for you, young lady?" 

"May I please have some water?" She asked, holding out her glass. 

The lady nodded and dipped a spoon into the water, then poured some into the glass. "Here you go, Miss Mikaelson." 

Poppy smiled. "Thank you very much, miss." She climbed down from her chair carefully and walked to the table where her aunt sat.

"You're anything but! Not just you, your whole family is so... elegant.." Genevieve spoke with a smile, glancing over at Elijah and Klaus. 

Rebekah smiled. "Yes, I agree, Elijah is quite peerless." 

Poppy reached up, setting her water on the table by standing on her tiptoes. She then sat in the chair next to her aunt, sipping at her water. 

Genevieve smiled at the child before continuing. "I don't know..." She sighed. "I mean, he's nice and all, but if I had to go for one Mikaelson boy..."

Rebekah began laughing. "Klaus? Genevieve, who'd have thought a saintly little witch like you would go for the bad boys? I knew we were destined to be friends!"

"He can't be terrible," Genevieve smiled. "He does make a great father." 

"He's the best Daddy ever!" Poppy exclaimed, setting down her empty glass with a smile. 

The two woman laughed before continuing on with their conversation. 

"Well, there's a load of us Mikaelsons. If you like bad boys, you'd love my brother, Kol." She smiled. 

Genevieve looked around. "And where is this mystery brother of yours?"

Rebekah lost her smile. "It's complicated." She turned to her niece. "Sweetheart, your father is looking awfully lonely. You should go dance with him."