25. My Family

Over a month later. 

Elijah stood before his younger brother, Niklaus, wiping the blood from hands with a handkerchief. "You look surprised to see me. So it wasn't you that removed the dagger from my chest." 

Klaus let out a sigh. "You look like you could do with a drink. And we have a lot to discuss, so shall we?"

Elijah lunged at him, sending Klaus through a window inside the mansion, shattering it. 

"Easy!" Klaus yelled. "I just finished renovating." He sped to Elijah, crashing him into a table and breaking it. "You know you have every right to be mad at me. But I kept my word, I reunited you with our family."

Elijah narrowed his eyes, rushing at him again and pushing him against one of the coffins, which Klaus had gotten back from Stefan. Klaus flipped open the lid and un-daggered Kol before threatening Elijah with it. 

"Don't make me do this to you again Elijah!" Klaus exclaimed. 

Elijah was unamused. "Come on. Use it. I dare you. You'll have Kol to deal with."

Klaus lowered the dagger. "Mikael is dead." He watched as Elijah stood to his full height when Klaus released him. 

"What did you say?" Elijah inquired in surprised. 

"I killed him. With his own weapon. He's gone, Elijah. Forever." Klaus explained. 

Elijah looked at the coffins. "Why do our family remain in these coffins? Finn for over 900 years, Kol for over a century."

Klaus frowned a bit. "Because of Stefan Salvatore. He holds the one thing keeping me from freeing them. There are things that you do not know about our past, Elijah. Our mother's death. Things I never wanted you to know but I'm ready to tell you now. I only ask that you remember the oath of loyalty you once swore to me." He walked over to a table, which held a container of ash. He dipped the dagger in and walked to Kol, thrusting it into his chest. "Always and forever. I need you to stand by my side. Be my brother. Help me destroy Stefan and I promise you our family will be whole again." 

"And how will Poppy react to this nonsense, Niklaus?" 

Klaus gave his brother a morose stare. "She won't." 

Elijah furrowed his eyebrows. "What happened?" 

"The Salvatores conspired against us, saying that Mikael had been daggered. We were at homecoming, a wake for our dead father, her dead grandfather. She was happy, she knew she wouldn't have to live in fear anymore." Klaus told him, pouring himself a drink. "To our surprise, the bastard showed up, alive. He infected her with some mark or something, so she couldn't fight him." He took a drink of the alcohol. "Her magic reflected back onto herself. Yet, she persevered, but not without consequence. The infection made her sick and weak, but then it made her murderous and not herself." He paused.

Elijah frowned. "Continue.."

"I did the one thing that made sense," Klaus spoke. "I put her in the coffin that put her to sleep for 80 years. So, unless the Bennett witch can find a spell to help our beloved Poppy, that's where she will remain."

❌❌❌

Elijah and Niklaus walked through the woods, approaching the ruins where the coffin rested on a rock. Next to the coffin stood Bonnie, who was chanting something with her eyes closed. 

"Bonnie!" Klaus greeted, a smile forming on his face. "Please tell me you've found a way to help my daughter."

Bonnie continued to chant, hovering her hands over the coffin.