10. The Last Dance

I told you I was excited...I finally feel like this story is going somewhere.

Cami walked to the the Salvatore brothers, who stood outside of their home.

"Hey," Stefan greeted. "Poppy said you're heading home today."

Cami nodded, handing him a paper. "Here's what I got from being with her. She's scared, Stefan. She's always been anxious, but now, she's terrified. This whole thing with Klaus and Elijah, it's not good for her. She needs help, with several things, from you guys. Her family. Don't let her spin out of control, Stefan." She said.

She never really liked Stefan. He was gone a lot, and she wasn't fond of the whole compulsion thing.

Stefan nodded and watched as she left. 

April 26, 2010

Mystic Falls, Virginia 

The Salvatore Boarding Home 

Poppy walked down the stairs of the Boarding Home, buttoning up her plaid jacket. She watched as Elena walked the lawyer (who oversaw the signing of the deed) to the front door. 

"Thank you, Mr. Henry." Elena smiled, watching as he left. 

The brothers walked to the threshold, but were unable to enter due to the invisible force that kept them out. 

"I'm sorry. I completely forgot." Elena said, giving Stefan a smile. "Stefan. Would you like to come inside my house?"

Poppy cringed when Elena called it her house. If anything it should've been Poppy to sign the deed. Poppy grew up there. It should be Poppy's house. 

"I would love to. Thank you." Stefan smiled, walking inside to his sister. 

Elena turned to look at Damon. 

"What are we, twelve?" Damon asked. 

"One of us is. If I let you in, do you promise to obey the owner of this house?" Elena asked. 

"No."

Elena huffed. "Seriously, Damon. My way. You promised. I call the shots. No lies, no secret agendas. Remember?" She said like a child. 

"Yes, Elena. Sure." Damon replied. 

"Right," Poppy mumbled. "Everything's Elena's way..." 

Damon gave his sister a small smirk, and Stefan frowned a bit, the two of them hearing her. 

"Then please, come in." Elena told him. 

Elena closed the door behind the eldest Salvatore, who looked at Stefan. "Shut up."

Bonnie walked over to them from another room, giving Elena her jacket. 

"Thanks." Elena smiled, putting it on. 

"Wait," Stefan looked at the three girls. "where are you going?"

"To school." Poppy and Elena replied in unison. 

"Huh?" 

"No, no, no. We didn't create a safe house for you to leave it." Damon told them, scrunching his eyebrows. 

Stefan nodded. "Yeah, guys, Klaus is out there. We know that."

"Right. But where? No one knows. Look, I really appreciate what you guys are doing. And I'll be able to sleep at night knowing that I'll be safe here, but I'm not going to be a prisoner." Elena told them, looking at Damon.