21. Ordinary People Part 2

September 15, 2010

Mystic Falls, Virginia 

The Salvatore Boarding Home 

Poppy laid in bed, more awake than she was before. A cool cloth laid on her forehead, as Rebekah, who sat next to her, was trying to cool the fever. Poppy's hands trembled a bit, but other than that she was calm. Elena sat on the other side of her friend on the bed, holding her hand gently. They had been sitting for around ten minutes.

It was Elena who broke the silence. "Why did Mikael start hunting Klaus?"

Rebekah sighed softly. "When Nik made his first human kill, it triggered his werewolf gene. With that, he became my father's greatest shame."

Elena nodded in recollection. "Yeah, Elijah told me this part of the story. Your mother had-had an affair with one of the werewolf villagers. Klaus wasn't his son."

"She tried to make it right. She put the hybrid curse on Nik to suppress his werewolf side, and then she turned her back on him. But Mikael's greatest weakness as a human was his pride. As a vampire, that was magnified. He went on a rampage and killed half the village. Then he came home and killed her." 

Elena frowned, shocked. "Mikael killed your mother?"

The vampire nodded. "He said she broke his heart so he would break hers. He tore it from her chest as Nik watched. Afterwards, my father took off in a rage, and the rest of my family scattered. Nik stayed, so he could help me bury her. He knew I had to say goodbye to my mother."

Sometime in the 900s

The two siblings, Rebekah and Niklaus Mikaelson, stood beside each other at a grave, both in mourn and silence. 

"I know you think hated you, Niklaus," Rebekah spoke softly. "but she did not. She was just afraid..I'm sorry she turned her back on you. I will never do that."

"Nor will I." Their older brother Elijah sounded, walking over to them. 

"We stick together as one." Rebekah told them, and they all held hands in a circle around their mother's grave. "Always and forever."

"Always and forever..." Elena sounded "...even though he locked you in a coffin for ninety years?" She inquired. 

Rebekah looked at her. "We're vampires. Our emotions are heightened. I'm stubborn, Elijah moral, and Nik...Nik has no tolerance for those who disappoint him. Over a thousand years as a family we've all made that mistake at least once. I've made it several times." 

"But you both still love him?" Elena asked. 

"He's my father, Elena." Poppy replied, confused and offended. "Am I supposed to hate him? Am I supposed to turn my back on my family?" 

Rebekah furrowed her eyebrows. "And he's my brother. And I'm immortal. Should I spend an eternity alone instead?" She looked back at her niece, then at Elena. "You've heard the story, it's time to go." 

Elena frowned. 

"I said leave, Elena! I don't know what you're up to, but I'm no longer playing along." Rebekah exclaimed. 

Elena huffed, standing up. "I'm just looking for one good reason why we shouldn't wake Mikael."

"And we've both given you a thousand!" Poppy exclaimed, propping herself up on her elbows.

"But you will anyway. I know you want him to help you kill my brother, I'm not stupid." Rebekah continued. 

Elena sighed. "It's no secret that I want Klaus dead. He has a hold over Stefan's life, and over mine."