[fifty four] lock and load

Jahseh's POV

"Symere! You're back!" Jordan squealed as he engulfed Symere in a hug.

"Hey Sy!" Diego piped up from Metri's lap. They were both taking turns playing Mario Kart.

I loved Mario Kart. Well, I love what it leads to. I smiled at Stokeley, who was across the room helping Gazzy with a puzzle.

Daniel was in here too, but he was watching Alex and Micheal play patty cake. Jarad was watching too, a sadder expression than usual on his face.

I cocked an eyebrow.

"Come on, Mere, I want to show you something!" Jordan said as he dragged Symere away from where he was group hugging Tyler, Pete, and Josh.

"Okay I'm coming! Geez, slow down J-Man!" Symere giggled. That just made Jordan tug at his arm even harder.

"That's cute." Said a voice from next to me. Alex. I looked up at her since she was standing up. She decided to wear a skirt today.

"Yeah. Jordan is more calmer when Symere is here. Well, sometimes." I said.

"Daniel told me about them. He told me about nearly everything that goes on here, his favorite story being about some Zoo trip." Alex sat down on the floor next to me and smoothed out her skirt.

"Oh yeah! I really loved that trip. I got to see some elephants, I really like elephants." I said.

I got a giddy feeling when I thought back to the trip. I still had the toy that Patrick had bitch slapped that one kid over. That was a good day, but it's too bad that savage Patrick didn't last longer. I would have loved to see that.

"I wonder if Daniel still has the picture that we took on his phone." I added, remembering the picture we took in front of the elephants.

"Want me to go and ask?" Alex piped up, giving me a friendly shoulder pat. I nodded.

She stood up and sprinted over to Daniel, Jarad and Michael. Daniel stopped tickling Micheal and Jarad to listen to Alex. She asked him the question, and I watched in disgust as he snaked a hand around her bare thigh.

"Ew." I mumbled. I was starting to feel sorry for Alex. She looked uncomfortable by her body language, but she managed to keep a straight face nonetheless.

He handed her his phone, told her something, and let go of her leg turning his attention back to the boys.

Alex walked back over to me, I stood up so she wouldn't have to sit down. She was looking down at the phone, scrolling.

"Is this the one?" She asked, passing me the phone.

"Yeah." I smiled.

It was taken on that day, but the picture looked different. Instead of Geneva being on Stokes right, it was Regina. I was still on Stokeley's back, but I wasn't a kid anymore. I was how I looked now. Other than that, it was the same.

"That's a cute picture. It looks like the elephants were posing." Alex giggled. I snorted.

She wasn't lying, it seemed as if they'd stopped behind me and Stokeley to join into the picture.

"Yeah. It does, doesn't it?" I smiled even harder.

"You and Stokeley are cute. He told me how you guys met and I thought it was adorable." She gushed.

"Wait, he what now? How much did he tell you? Please tell me that you don't know." I panicked.

If someone else were to find out about me, I'd have failed my mission and I would be sent back to heaven.

"Oh, he told me everything." She said, a wicked grin.

"Everything?"

"Yep. He told me about how you two had met while you helped Gazzy from choking on toilet paper on your first day here. He also told me about how while you two were working together you'd flirt with him and stuff. It's honestly so cute." She giggled.

I felt a weight lift off of my shoulders. So Stokeley didn't tell. I'mma have to suck his dick for that.

"Thanks. Yeah, I did drop hella hints before we got together." I chuckled, twirling a dread that had fell out of my ponytail.

"This is nice." Alex said after a moment of silence. She scooted closer to me.

"What?" I asked.

"I feel calm here. Like I'm accepted." She sighed. Her smile faded a bit, but not completely.

It was then that I noticed how fake her smile was. It was obviously forced. I knew what a genuine smile looked like, and I knew what a mask looked like.

"Why do you feel like that? Don't you have other friends?" I questioned softly. Now I was really feeling sorry for her, despite a small part of me saying to kick her away from me.

"No. Well yes, but...no. For some reason people just.. don't like me. I've never done anything wrong, I try my best to be as friendly as I can. I love helping people. I'm just a positive person." She let out a sad breath. As soon as she realized that she wasn't smiling anymore, she put on a wide grin.

"But that's okay."

I nearly screamed.

"Nope. Nuh uh. Stop that shit right now." I turned to face her.

"Stop what?" She asked.

"Stop acting like you're okay when you're not."

"What do you-"

"Don't act fucking stupid. Wipe that smile off of your face and frown. You have the right to be upset. You shouldn't have to fake being happy for anyone." I scolded.

Her mouth twitched. "But-"

"Alex. Stop." I put a hand up.

Finally, her smile disappeared and it was replaced with a look of stress. Her eyes dropped and she let out a melancholy sigh.

"Okay. You're right. I haven't been as happy as I look. But it's not like I can just change anything."

I put a finger on her chin and made her look at me.

"If something is happening to you, you can tell me. Is someone doing anything to you that you don't approve of? Is it Daniel?" I asked, looking her straight in her eyes.

"No! Daniel is..fine. It's nothing, don't worry about it."

"Telling me not to worry will make me worry."

"Trust me, Jahseh. It's okay. Thank you for your care, but it's cool. I need to give Dani his phone back." She pulled away.

"Yeah, okay." I mumbled as she walked away. I pulled my knees up to my chest.

"Gazzy! Put the glue down!" I heard Stokeley yell from across the room.

"Por favor!" Omar screamed.

"Gazzy! Give me my glue back!" Josh yelled.

I heard a loud crash, then Gazzy screeched. I heard footsteps run outside of the room, more ran after them.

Alex never came back to sit next to me.

-JADA