[thirty eight] baby, seasons change but people don't pt.2

"See, this what we not finna do." I said, as my mother fixed my tie for what felt like the sixteenth time in ten minutes.

"Nigga, we going over the white folks house, we gotta dress up! If we was going to a niggas party, I wouldn't have gave a damn if you went naked."

Jahseh huffed. "Well let's go to a niggas party then, Stokeley start stripp-"

"Okay! I think the tie is fine, ma." I cut Jahseh off, shooting him a glare.

He winked.

He was borrow one of my dad's Christmas sweaters. I mean, I chose the suit over a sweater, that hoe was mad ugly. Ion care if they white, I'm not embarrassing myself.

"Okay." She patted my chest. "Looks decent enough. Y'all got the gifts that I gave y'all?"

"Yep." We all nodded. My dad held up his tiny box.

"What the hell is in this anyways? What type of cheap ass gift is this small?"

"It's actually not a real gift, just an old stamp off of one of our bills. I purposely left off who it was from so when they open it they won't know who it's from." She cackled.

Jahseh snickered. "I like, I like. You should have put a chicken bone in that shit and watch them open it thinking it's something nice."

My momma and Jah laughed harder, me and my dad just shared a look.

It was a 'these two motherfuckers crazy as hell but I still love they ass deeply'.

They stopped sharing evil gift ideas and started to walk ahead of us to the car.

We all filled in, my momma was driving, Jah was in the passenger seat, and me and my dad sat in the back with our seatbelts buckled tight.

My mom lurched forward out of the driveway, her and Jah's conversation still going. He didn't have on a seatbelt, but even he didn't look fazed either.

I kept staring at him. I really admire him, not just because of what he is either. Even when I thought he was just a kid, I admired the little guy.

He was never scared to stand up for himself or others, he wasn't afraid to beat ass if needed, and when he wanted something he went for it.

When we reached a red light, my momma whipped out a Ziploc bag filled with various seasonings.

"What you doing with that?" I asked.

She looked back at me and stuffed it in her bra. "I'm gonna sprinkle some of this seasoning on the food when ain't nobody looking."

Jahseh started choking while laughing, my dad sighed, and I just snorted.

The light turned green, and she lurched forward again. Jahseh didn't move at all.

And just like that, there I was, studying his face again. He just always had this glow to him. Why do I keep doing looking? Why can't I look away?

"So, what's up with you two?" My dad asked, nudging my shoulder.

I snapped out of my trance. "Huh? What?"

"You keep looking at him, he's been all up on you any chance he gets, and y'all keep...just...ion know."

"I don't know either." I mumbled.

He patted my shoulder. "It's alright. Don't be ashamed, I always knew you had a little sugar in yo tank. You a big boy."

"What? That's not what i- you know what. Nevermind pop. How's your back feeling?"