[two] geneva

Stokeley

I cried into my pillow, cradling my ass with my right hand and suppressing my tears with my left hand.

I ain't want her to know I was crying cause she would just come back and beat my ass again.

I got in trouble for tryna take up for her rude ass. Niggas ain't shit.

After about ten minutes, I stopped crying. My ass still hurt from the beating, but other than that i was fine.

Could be worse, I could be sitting in a hospital bed, eating food through a tube. I laughed.

That's what his sloppy body ass get. Maybe he'll lose some weight in there and come back to thank me.

I sniffed and laughed again.

"I better not hear no laughing Stokeley! You ain't fucking allowed to be happy!"

I stopped laughing. I reached under my pillow and got my phone. I made sure to hide it before she caught up to me in my room. I opened it up and saw fifteen text messages from my girlfriend, Geneva.

I smiled.

I unlocked my phone and checked the messages, All of them being about what happened at school, and one of them was a nude that looked like it was taken in the school bathroom.

I typed up a quick response, letting her know that I wouldn't be able to really see her much because I wasn't allowed back to school now.

I tossed my phone aside, seeing that other than Geneva, there were only notifications from YouTube, and a group chat that I ain't even want to be in but didn't feel like leaving because they had some bomb ass memes.

I sighed. I'm hungry.

I hopped off of the bed and made my way to the kitchen.

When I got there I saw my mom sitting at the kitchen table, phone to her ear.

She noticed me and put on a stank face. She then walked out of the kitchen.

"Damn. Well I love you too ma." I mumbled.

"What you say smart?!" She shrieked from where ever the hell she was in the house.

"Nothing!" I quickly answered back.

------------------------------------------------------

I was sitting on the counter, munching on a sandwich made by one of my mom's friends, Miss Cleo, when I heard footsteps coming closer towards the kitchen.

I jumped off the counter quickly and made my way over to a seat at the table. The last thing I wanted is to be hit again. I don't care how old I am, them belts still hurt.

"Stokeley."

"Yuh." I said through a mouthful of food.

She made a stank face. "Chew and swallow that first. Second, I have a ... proposition for you. Third, stay the hell of my counters boy. Don't make me tell you again.

I nodded. "Proposition?"

She put the phone back on it's charger. "Yeah. I think you'll like it. Remember when you used to babysit your cousin Jarad when he was younger?

I nodded. I used to keep him in the weekends while my momma and my auntie would get drunk at the club.

Or go to 'bible study' as she calls it.

"You liked doing that shit right? Taking care of him?"

"Where is this going, ma?"

She smiled at me. "You're going to work with me at 'Sunshine City'."

She walked over to me and kissed me on the cheek. "You start tomorrow."

"Wait! I don't want to work there! That shi- place is hel-horrible!" I correct myself.

She makes another stank face. "Boy you ain't finna be lazy and you damn well ain't finna complain either. I said what I said and that's that."

She smacked me upside my head.

"Enjoy the rest of your day, and sleep early. Get ready to cancel all ya little plans with ya friends too. You're working 6 day shifts."

Wait, six day? As in six out of seven days of the week?

I'd rather she just fucking whoop my ass again.

"Six day? That can't be right. You mean five? Or four?"

"TUH!" She snorted.
"Boy, it's open on Saturdays too. And you'll be working alone so make sure you pay attention to what goes on throughout the week."

"Alone?!" At this point, I'd been dropped that sandwich.

"Pick that shit up." She pointed at my mess. "And get ready for tomorrow. Pick out your outfits for the week too while you're at it."

She winked at me and headed into the living room. "I'll be right back, I gotta go meet someone."

"Better not be no man." I yelled after her. "I'm the only dude that can be in your life as of right now."

"Shut the fuck up, I'm the momma." She slammed the front door.

"Man, this some bullshit." I mumbled while picking up the sandwich pieces with a napkin.

The front door swung back open and my momma came rushing at me with a belt. "What the fuck you just say!?"

How did she even hear me?

-Jada