Chapter 49: A walk to remember

Start from the beginning

"We aren't done here. I'll find out." I said and got up doing the eye gesture with two figers of the hand which says 'my eyes are on you'.

We walked inside again. And oh what my eyes saw! My Mom was shoving her tongue down Christopher's throat. Yuck.

"Ignore it." Derek said.

___________________________

Mason's POV-

Derina looked amazing. And like all the time, it was difficult for me to keep my hands to myself. So as soon as we entered I took her to the dance floor.

She actually disliked Ashley alot. And it was good to know that she was really jealous. It actually felt like she chose me. She chose me over Nathan, Aiden and freaking Alexander.

When Marissa was here, she had been everyone's favorite. The best child anyone could have. Good grades, good behavior, extremely beautiful, all in all, she was a poster child. She was always chosen over me. But still when she wasn't here anymore, I didn't feel that good, how could I? I still loved her. I could never hate her because of something so stupid.

I had always been the quiet, shy and a guy who just kept reading, playing instruments. I was used to being alone. Mom Dad, whenever they took trips due to business, would always take Marissa with them. I would always be the one to stay home. So it was that reason that I was so quiet and liked to be alone. I just became like that.

When Marissa wasn't here anymore, then I kind of got the attention. And then I changed. I stopped being the quiet kid. I stopped being the bookworm. But the way I was now, was not the real me. Real me was the artsy kid. The one who kept painting all day long.

I was like that around Derek. He had known me forever. It just happens that I'm my old self around him.

And so it felt nice that Derina was choosing me. It felt like I wasn't the second choice anymore.

I don't know why Derek took Derina outside. God only knows what he will tell her, I thought when they came back talking and laughing. Derina looked happy to have him back. And seeing her happy was all I wanted.

So we ate. Talked. Had fun. And then we were leaving.

"Derina! Where are you going?" I screamed when Derina was walking away from my car.

"Home?" She said more like asked.
I jogged towards her.

"Have you forgotten you stay at my house?"

"Have you forgotten that my Mom is back?"

Oh shit. That. It means Derina won't be staying at my house anymore. That sucks. I wanted her to be there. I dragged my hand through my hair.

"We are going for the trip. We are going to be together there." She said.

Maybe she understood that I was upset that she wasn't going to be at my house now. Like I said, she had settled into my everyday routine. Maybe she felt the same way. I smiled at her and she smiled back.

And I shouldn't even get started about how much I actually wanted to kiss her. I don't even know if she still feels the same.

And when she smiled, it was like, I was saying I loved her and she was smiling because she knew what I meant. She was smiling because she loved me too. And just thinking about that makes me so happy.

"Yeah, there's no backing off when we are on the trip." I said.

I meant that, I'll finally kiss her. I'll finally tell her that I want to be with her again. I'll tell her that I'm ready to risk it all. If it means that I get her.

"So you're a Harry Potter fan too?" I asked her. She chuckled.

"I love Harry Potter."

And just like that, we were at ease. We stood there, just talking to each other. Enjoying each other's company. I could just enjoy even her presence around me really. So I told her to just come and take a walk with me and then I'll drop her home. Bodyguards were following us.

"Derek told me about Alexander." She said.

"Even if it was an accident, I would never forgive him. And knowing that it wasn't an accident, forgiving Alexander is not in the picture." I said.

It didn't feel weird that we were walking in clothes like these, at I don't know, almost midnight.

"After Marissa's death, did you get back at them?" She asked.

"We did. In business. And their illegal stuff." I said and I knew where she was going.

"So it's their turn to retaliate." She said.

"It will all be over before they get to do that." I said. "Why are we having such a sad talk?"

"Did Ashley molest you while dancing?" She asked me teasingly.

"Who wouldn't want to molest this?" I gestured to my body.

She rolled her eyes. "You're a narcissist." We both chuckled.

"You love that." I said and she stopped laughing. "I should drive you back. It's late." I said.

We didn't talk while the way back to her house. It was like she was in deep thought. We reached her house and we both got out of the car.

"Goodnight." She said and turned to walk to her door.

"Derina." I said and she stopped and turned to look at me again. "They will retaliate, but I think I'm ready to protect anyone who is close to me." I said.

I knew she was thinking about that too. I had told her before, or not, I don't remember. But I didn't want to be with her again because it was dangerous for her. Because of politics, gangs and rivals. But I had said it before. I was ready to take the risk.

Because there's nothing I want more than Derina. Actually a life with Derina.

"I know that. And I trust you completely." She said.

We just stood there, looking into each others eyes. I didn't want the night to end. Not because I was with her. But because I finally realized we both feel the same way. This walk, was the one I'll always remember.

The look she had, when she said she trusts me, was everything I wanted because it said that she was sure about this. Sure about us. It was like she was declaring that she was okay with us being together.

I had already kind of declared that I would protect the ones close to me where I actually wanted to say that I will protect the one I love.

I was driving back home.

It's weird how I used to think that nobody would want me, nobody would love me. Because I was second best. Derina was one of the best things to ever happen to me. And I wasn't going to lose her. Ever again.

Past was in the past. We were more mature now and I guess we could survive obstacles.

I swear I couldn't love her more than I do right now. And yet I know, I will tomorrow.

_________________________

Please comment and vote!