Chapter 28: We are done

Start from the beginning

____________________

Mason's POV-

We rushed to the cars as soon as Mom told us about the call from the  hospital. I was controlling Derina.  I didn't show the dread on my face. It was a planned accident. I won't be able to explain to Derina. She's going to hate me. She is going to hate everyone for not telling her about what her Father and mine were working for. She was crying. Her Mother was too. At that moment my phone started ringing. It was Dad.

"Dad." I said frustrated.

"Mason, uh- we have found out something." Oh shit.

My Mom used to work for the FBI. She stopped working but she did have contacts with secret agents and all.

"What is it Dad?" I asked. I knew exactly what it was. My doubts are going to come true.

"You were right, Senator Henderson had bribed and there were bogus votes. He was involved with shipping drugs too. He was never going to become the Senator." He said slowly. I'm gonna kill him. How could he?

"Dad I was always telling you that our own people would betray us. How could he do that only for becoming a Senator?" I asked frustrated. I had ran my hands in my hair like hundred times in the last half an hour.

My dad sighed not interested in that. "Mason come to the hospital. It's Derina's Dad."

__________________

I was relieved that my Dad was fine but I knew Derina was done with me. She would never forgive me for this. Her Dad wasn't supposed to be there. There was media, paparazzi, cops and what not. This was a very big deal. Derek's family wasn't here right now. Obviously

I could see the hatred in Derina's eyes when she heard me talk about the accident with My Dad, sorrow and love. Love which was hidden now, under alot of hurt and disappointment. She was beyond angry. It was our fault. The Hendersons came to know of the evidence and tried to destroy it along with My Father.

My Father already handed the evidence to the police about wrong voting and elections. It was also proved that the car burst was not an accident and it was Mr. Henderson's plan. The cameras were put in his office with the help of Mr. Williams. We had their videos in meetings, their voice loud and clear. He was sure done with being in Politics.

Derina was broken. I wanted to be there for her but she didn't let me. She didn't let my Mom come near her.

She came into my life like a disaster. I realized that in Hawaii. She moved me completely. In such a short time, she was able to mend my heart. But she was breaking it now. I know we didn't say that we love each other. But I thought whatever we had was enough to get out of matters like these. I thought we would survive. Her father's death wasn't a small thing, sure, she being angry was also right. But her shutting me out completely, walking out of my life like that, was not fair.

____________

She was broken. We all saw it when it was her Father's funeral. She didn't talk to anybody but Nathan. Nathan was always by her side. Everyone's parents were by her Mom's side. Her Grandma and other relatives were present. Her Grandma looked at me sympathetically. She knew exactly what was happening.

Derek and his family attended the funeral too. His Dad was obviously arrested. It's not like being in a gang was something less than smuggling drugs. But my Dad was harmless. This gang thing and racing was all out of Washington. It wouldn't come in our way.

"Mason." It was Victoria.

"Grandma, this shouldn't have happened." I saw her and I wanted to break down too. I've never cried. Except for Marissa's death and at the cemetry, once.

"Control yourself Mason. Whatever happened shouldn't have. But it is what it is. Derina needs time."

"I can't even talk to her, she doesn't let me. I can't be there for her."

"Mason, everything's going to be fine. Her Grandma is right. Time will tell." It was Kyra. She came by my side. I knew, not having Derek was going to be hard. He was like a brother. Daniel and Nick and Jessica too, they all were there for me too. They had been the kind of friends, I didn't have in so many years, except Derek and Kyra.

Derek, his Mother and his sisters, they weren't aware of all this. But Derek knew something about all this. He wasn't completely clueless. Derina was done with Derek too. Derek was a good friend of hers since the past months we spent here. She felt bad, she felt betrayed. She didn't deserve any of this.

She was my First Love. I didn't let her let me go. I tried all I could. I also talked to her Mom. Her Mom understood me. She broke down in my arms too. But Derina didn't let me stop her.

_________

We all lost contact. Derina shifted to New York for college along with her Uncle John, Jessica and Nick, Nathan, Dan.

But I had decided that I won't let anyone take Derina's place. I wanted nobody but her. I tried calling her, meeting her. I got nothing in return. Nothing at all.

She also had to manage her Dad's big business at this age. His empire. His legacy.
Derina had changed. She became cold. She was broken beyond repair. All because of Me. I kind of blame myself for this death. Marissa's wasn't my fault maybe, but all of this, Mr. Williams involvement with us, got him killed.

We were over before we even started.
Destiny is a bitch.

I took Derina's farewell from my life badly. After my sister, I didn't want to face another goodbye with anyone. And losing Derina was the second greatest loss of my life. I couldn't stop thinking about her. And I knew I loved her, more than anything.

I couldn't forget the last words she said to me, "I should hate you." That was all that was needed to break my heart. It was a small sentence, that would always remind me of her Dad's death and mine and Derina's relationship which I thought was forever.

_____________________________

Please comment and vote!