0. Prologue

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." -Albert Einstein 

Mystic Falls, Virginia 

The Salvatore Property

The night was windy, cold, and rainy. The trees swayed and creaked, their limbs reaching up towards the sky in hopes of sun. Twigs and leaves crunched under his feet as he walked, searching for any animals that were lost in the deep woods, sniffing and on high alert. He could hear everything for a good distance; whistling of the wind, rustling in bushes, quarreling between two squirrels, and...crying. He raised an eyebrow and walked towards the sound, silent. 

Sitting against a fallen tree was a little girl, hugging her knees to her chest as she cried. Her brown curls were wet, it was clear she had been in the rain for a while, but she had taken shelter under branches and leaves. Her pink dress, muddy and torn, stuck to her body. 

Stefan walked to her. "What's wrong?" He asked, kneeling down to her level. 

She looked into his eyes, her own filled with heartbreak and confusion. "My daddy...he left me." She cried, breaking the eye contact to stare up at the sky. "He said he was going up there, to a better place." 

Stefan frowned and moved some of her hair from her face. "Do you have a mother?" 

The little girl shook her head, looking at him. He stood up and, while looking down at her, took off his jacket. He wrapped it around the little girl. "What's your name?"

"Mia..Mia Cooke." She replied, her voice trembling. 

"Well, Miss Mia Cooke, the weather isn't going to clear up for a while. Why don't you come with me? I have a huge house." Stefan said with a small smile, holding his hand out. 

She placed her small hand into his, and together they left the woods.

So...what do you think? Sorry it was so short, I promise the upcoming chapters will gradually become longer.