Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

12 years later...

"Cane, would you slow down and eat your breakfast?" mum chuckled as she watched me sling my back pack on. I steadied my black light rimmed glasses and gave her a smile.

"Mum if I don't leave now I will sure get a detention again." I whined walking over to give her a quick kiss in the cheek, her little cheek bones show cased themselves in her signature grin as she finished packing the rest of my lunch in a container.

"Fine I will let you off the hook this time but here is your lunch," she handed me the container, "make sure tomorrow you don't sleep through the alarm again." She scolded.

I rolled my eyes and gave her a quick hug before practically bolting out the door.

The yellow school bus was right at the stop and I had to undergo the daily torture of sprinting my heart out so the driver doesn't leave me again. She is cold hearted witch who hates my guts.

I stepped in and smiled politely at the elderly lady in the driver's seat to which she returned with a venomous smirk, obviously enjoying my torture. I took my favourite window seat in the middle row to my right where no one sat next to me. To say I was pleased with that would be an understatement. I was grateful. My back pack got a seat too!!!

I pulled put my phone and began to continue the oh-so-beautiful gift of wattpad. An endless supply of fiction that would keep me out of this world for as long as I wanted.

Pure bliss...

The giant building of River High brought itself into view and I groaned putting back my phone and stepping off the bus.

***

"As we all know we are all seniors this year..."

Cue the speech.

"... and we need to work hard on our grades in order..."

For all us to graduate and go to college and blah blah....

"So today I would like to start with a little project I want you guys to do in groups of three." Mrs Stone said and clapped her hands together like a nursery school teacher in excitement, "it's a new way of teaching so I don't have to the work anymore. Any way make your own groups pick a leader to come to my table and pick your assignment."

Unfortunately for me, neither Luke nor Amy is in this class with me. Luke and Amy are my best friends. We basically have moved through elementary to senior together and have each other's backs all the time. I love them to death. They seem to be the only people outside my household who make me feel sane again.

I sat in my secluded seat by the window in the middle row as my neighbors got up to look for seats. Once every one settled I noticed, much to my dismay, that Mrs. Stone raised a questioning look at me through her glassed and I shrugged. What was I supposed to do? Everyone had a group but me.

"Crystal what do you think you are doing there all by yourself, young lady?" she asked getting onto her feet.

She scanned the classroom very vividly looking for where to place me while I sat silently praying not to go anywhere.

"Alright." She said.

I sighed in relief.

"Go seat at the back with the three young gentlemen and work with them. I am sure they wouldn't mind." she told me. I grunted and reluctantly stood to go to the back and gasped.

The muscular backs that faced me made me gulp. I watch as the one in the middle directly facing watched and scanned every movement I made with intensity. He was built, not the rock but not far off either. These boys literally had power radiating off their presence the whole school and staff were afraid of them.