27

27

I could not sleep.

My heart was pumping to fast to allow it. Not that I could blame the strong pump. I almost got killed sleeping. I was in the kitchen eating the last piece of red velvet cake from the fridge. Would Jordan miss it? Probably. Do I care? That's up for discussion.

"Don't tell me you are also a night walker?"

I turned to see Margot standing in the doorway all smug in her blue HELLO KITTY onesie. I ignored her resisting the urge to roll my eyes.

"Having the blanket almost strangle your best friend to death does not seem like the best first impression," she said joining me on the island I was seated on. Yes I was on top on the Island with my legs dangling over the side while I dug into the slice of cake on a plate with a fork.

"Is it any consolation that it was not met for her but for you instead?" The witch smiled cheekily.

This time I did roll my eyes and took another bite of cake.

"Let's just pretend that I did actually deliver an actual apology and there were hugs and tears. Everything is good and all dandy, okay? In case my mother asks."

"Why would she care?" I asked grabbing another piece of cake. I was met with silence. I turned to ask my question again only to be met by bright purple pupils. Unlike the other times her eyes flashed strange colors, there was a strange emotion this time.

Her mouth was in an honest frown and her eyes were pained. My brows creased.

I ended up groaning and sliding the plate in her direction with my fork.

"Have a piece of cake and I will tell your mother whatever she wants to hear." I said and she nodded accepting my cake. We sat in silence after that. Margot was not bad when her mouth was shut or stuffed with cake. I wonder why she is here. I wonder why any of them are really here.

Margot went back to sleep sometime after 3 am. I spent the rest of the time till sun rise baking. It had been a year since I last baked by myself. Almost half a year since I last baked with my mum.

There was lots of flour that was restocked into the drawers that was untouched. The whisking of different mixtures helped to distract me from the pain in my torso.

When I baked there was this fog that filled my head and shielded me from everybody and everything. I could only see my ingredients: Flour, eggs, milk, cinnamon, lemons baking soda and the electrical appliances of course. There was this song too, one I made up as a kid.

Whisk whisk, whisk WHISK

Whisk the sugar and butter.

Whisk whisk, whisk WHISK

add the milk, eggs and flour.

It went on and on with irregular beats and terrible rhymes until all was in the oven. I smiled to myself and continued to whisk away my thoughts.

"Good morning Crystal."

Whisk whisk whisk WHISK

"How long have you been up?"

Whisk whisk whisk WHISK

"Crystaalll!"

I paused mid whisk, my heart beating out of its chest when I see the sudden appearance of Margot senior by the kitchen island. The same kitchen island that was covered with trays of cooling cookies, frosted cupcakes and croissants. The croissants are not frosted. There were numerous stains of dough covering the sink, I could only imagine how I looked.

"Were you standing here the whole time?" I asked putting my bowl and whisk aside to calm my heart. The woman smiled amused and a horde of people followed behind her. My eyes bulged. Here I was, standing in a tank top and little shorts covered in flour and spices.

"Well crap."

I grabbed the bowl and repositioned myself directly behind mine to hide my flour covered legs.

"Care for some breakfast." I said gesturing at the baked treats with a tight smile.

Margot senior grinned at me while Margot stifled a laugh. I heard a deep resonating growl before the crowd parted and I knew I was screwed. Let us just hope he is hungry. He stormed in and the people around him like the sea. His eye brows creased when he looked at the kitchen island. The corners of his mouth were almost stretched into a full blown grin when his eyes found the floor at my feet and slowly made their way up.

The smile fell and his eyes darkened.

"Well crap."