30

30

Carmen paced the living room in front of her levitating daughter until the door open again. Crystal was in Felix's arms her eyes closed and her mind at ease. Only then did the older witch fill the tingle of her existence. She could sense her again. Her pacing stopped and she threw herself in the couch and took a loud breath of belief that had even Margot breaking her focus to stare at her in question.

She ignored the unasked question. Felix proceeded to take his mate to his room where he felt would be more comfortable for his wolf and him to watch her sleep.

"Yes, wolfie, not creepy at all." Margot mocked after reading the possessive wolf's mind. He sent her a hard glare.

She grinned in response and he scoffed proceeding to his destination.

**

"Do you not sleep?"

I didn't even turn to know it was Margot standing behind me. I kept whisking.

"Baking is therapeutic and I spent the day sleeping." I replied and put down my bowl on the island to get some milk from the fridge.

When I closed the fridge door, she was still there.

"Do you sleep?" I asked her to make conversation and she shrugged.

"I can't sleep with so much worry in the air." She said and I paused pouring the milk to give her a questioning glance before choosing not to ask.

"Well would you like to make something or just stand there and watch me?" I offered and she shrugged.

I handed her an empty bowl. She took it and rolled up her pajama sleeves. Her fingers started waving with golden lights and I groaned grabbing them and clapping them closed.

"We bake the traditional way." I warned her grabbing a spatula to make my point, "Or I will swat you."

She sighed in defeat and nodded. I smiled.

Margot knew her away in the kitchen. She didn't ask for help even once. I noticed she had made dough so I assumed she was making cookies. Her dough looked great. Forgive me for being surprised.

"Where did you grow up, Crystal?" she asked as she covered the bowl with clean film and placed it in the freezer. She also started a timer. Clever. I should do that next time I make cookie dough.

"I grew up in the city. What about you?" I replied, I felt like we were in the introduction part of kindergarten all over again.

"This little village far north. I had never been to the city till today. Amy is the first human I have ever seen in a long time actually." She chuckled.

I smiled, "Is that why you tried to smother her?" I joked and she blushed guiltily.

"I thought she was you, in my defence."

I threw my head and laughed, "That doesn't make it okay," I chuckled.

"And that thing you did with her did not work by the way." I mentioned as I poured my mixture into a baking tray.

"What?" she asked in a whisper.

"Whatever it was that you did to her to get to forget what happened with the blanket and with you guys, it didn't work. She remembers everything."

I took the mittens and opened the preheated oven to put in the tray. Shutting the oven I took off the mittens just as the timer went off the cookie dough.

"Margot?"

And like that she was gone.

Huh.

Okay.

I shrugged and got her dough out and proceed to roll it out neatly and finely so that all edges are even.

"You are baking again?" I looked up to find Margot's mother.

"Yes, I am." I replied using a glass to frame out the circles. She offered me a warm smile before sliding onto a stool while I worked.

"Did you always bake?" she asked and I shook my head.

"Not till recently, Miss..

"Call me Carmen." She smiled and I nodded.

"Do you like to read?" she asked and I nodded.

"Monday I go back to school and literature is the first class, my favourite class actually." I said trying not to feel like she was interrogating me.

I turned for a second to check on the timer when I turned back she was right infront of me. her hands grabbed my head and her eyes glowed bright gold. My scream was swallowed by silence as image by image swept by me like a fast slide show. One second I was seeing the timer and then I was in the room where I had my first heat. Then the first time I got stabbed. The hospital. The blood. That needle and I was in the dungeon where the whip was being used to cut my flesh. The screams I let out hadn't really registered as loud as they were now. I saw woods, I saw a house. A flash of yellow and I pushed her off of me. '

Whatever trance she had on me broke and had her on her knees breathing harshly in shock. I was furious.

She made me go through the pain in my past like it was a pointless montage. The rage in my face must have been recognised because she backed away from me while I closed her in.

"Don't."

I moved in closer and made sure our breaths mingled. Her eyes had faded back to normal blues and something in me felt glad that I could see the fear in her eyes.

"Touch me again."

With that warning, I grabbed the timer and walked out leaving her on the floor. The witches were here for something and sure wasn't protection. If they thought that I was just a naïve little human girl. It was time that people knew what a survivor was capable of.

I was mad.

I was tired.

I was over slept.

This is like the part of the movie where the damsel turns bad ass but I don't have a cool playlist to provoke that transformation and I still feel like shit from that old wench's touch. And to think I almost decided to like her.

"Crystal."

Blake stumbled in with his hair pointing every which way and a full grown beard.

Wow.

His eyes creased and he looked down then smiled as he stroked his beard.

"A perk of the special genes," he chuckled to himself, " I spent a whole 24 hours wake possibly more in the library....

"POINT IS CRYSTAL!" He said dramatically, "I found something that you would want to hear."