Baby Steps (Bickslow)

It was a beautiful evening. The sun was setting, turning the sky dark and quiet. A peaceful breeze flew through the roads of Magnolia.

The cool air blew through his dark blue hair. It was nice and refreshing. Bickslow didn't get much time to himself.

Sometimes he just liked to go on walks while Magnolia began to sleep. The Thunder Legion member hummed a tune to himself, lost in his thoughts. His minions were respectfully silent for once.

But the silence was broken by the sound of loud crying. Bickslow's head spun toward the sound when he heard a horrific scream. He broke into a run, sprinting into an alley.

A woman laid limply on the ground, curled up in a ball as she was beaten by the man. The sight made his blood boil and he marched over to the abuser.

He caught his hand before he could land his hit on the woman again. Bickslow effortlessly flung him against the alley's wall, his floating companions began to beat the living crap out of him.

He knelt down to the woman and reached over. She looked at him with wide fearful eyes.

"It's fine. I won't hur'cha. You okay?"

The injured woman doesn't reply, and glanced down. Bickslow followed her gaze to her torso. Held tightly in her arms was an unconscious child. She looked about 9-years old or less. The kid's forehead was bleeding and he caught pieces of glass among the blood.

He jumped when he felt the woman grab his bicep. Her dull orbs stared back at him with desperation. She gently pushed the child into his arms.

The woman smiled sadly as she began to die before his eyes. "Take care of her..."

Bickslow used his other arm to catch her as she fell forward. A chill ran down his spine when he noticed she had stopped breathing. His minions floated beside him. He ignored the blood on them and stood.

He glanced down at the frail child and started to run toward the nearest hospital.

* * * *

She woke up, gasping for breath. The little girl whipped her head around, absorbing her surroundings. A hospital room. A safe place.

"Oh, hey you're awake."

Bickslow saw her freeze and slowly turn to him. She tilted her head when she saw him. He friendly smiled.

"Hi, I'm Bickslow. What's your name?"

"(Y-Y/n)..."

Her (e/c) darted back and forth. She suddenly pulled her knees to her chest, wrapping her arms around them. "Where's my mom?"

He knew that he wouldn't be able to lie. Especially if it was something like this. The mage took a deep breath.

"I'm sorry."

She seemed to be expecting the answer and turned her head to stare at the window. He awkwardly sat there for five minutes before a nurse took him outside. Bickslow looked at the girl over his shoulder before stepping out.

The nurse talked in a hushed tone as soon as she closed the door. "She should be better in a couple days. But her leg is severely damaged so she shouldn't try walking for a while. The doctor prescribed her some medication and she'll have to take two pills-" She stopped. "I'm sorry are you related at all to her?"