The Project

**Dedicated to everyone who commented on the last chapter! Most of you have never commented before so it made me extremely happy! You all were so lovely! Also, this chapter is long because you guys had to wait a week for an update since I didn't have computer access at all! ONTO THE STORY!**

"Hey, Aria? Yeah, could you possibly come over? I think I'll need your help finishing this project." I speak into the phone, biting my lip out of nervousness. I don't actually need help from Aria on this project, but I have to work with Toby and the mere thought of doing the project in awkwardness with him makes me feel nauseous.

There is silence before Aria mutters, "Sure. I'll be there in ten."

I hang up and lay on my bed, sighing out of relief. I look across my room to the top of my dresser where the camera currently resides. Oh, the memories with that dreadful thing. Someone knocks at my door.

"Come in." I mindlessly say.

A woman with shorter, lighter hair and a stern yet determined look on her face walks through my door. It takes me a moment to recognize this woman as my mother.

"Hey Mom." I say slowly, confused as to why she's in my room. She only comes to my room to discuss important things. She stands at my doorway, her expression has shifted to blank.

"Why is Toby in the living room, shirtless and asleep? He has the barn all to himself. He's lucky I don't pour a bucket of water on him and make him leave." My mother spits out. I honestly didn't know why he was in the living room, nor did I care since I quite enjoyed his company.

I'm about to shrug my shoulders, but instead I give her an answer. "The barn had a rodent infestation. You know, rats and roaches. He even found a pregnant rat."

My mother's eyes widen. "Oh my god," She exclaims. "I thought he cleaned out the barn before he moved in."

"I guess he missed a spot." I simply lie. Toby owes me.

Mom nods, clearly thinking of her next action. "We'll get an exterminator to check it out as soon as possible."

That catches me by surprise. I jump up from my bed and shout, "No! No, we already called. They'll be here later this afternoon."

"Alright, I'll leave money to pay for the extermination on the counter," Her tone says that the conversation is nearly over. "And please, call me if anything else happens while we're gone."

"Of course, Mom." I agree. With that, she kisses me on the forehead and walks out of my room, leaving the door open.

I rush downstairs, suddenly fearing Toby is awake and Mom might want to discuss the infestation with him. He'll be clueless, and my mom will be furious and kick him out for good. I can't leave Toby homeless. 

And like a psychic, I was right. Toby has just sat up on the couch and rubbed his eyes. He looks so cute.

Not now, Spencer. 

I rush down the stairs and onto the couch, causing Toby to look adorably confused. "Good morning, Toby." My mom said, glancing over at us expectantly.

It takes me a moment to figure out what she's expecting: A usual good morning kiss. That's kind of hard to do after a break up. But I did it yesterday, what's so different from today? Just a peck.

I brace myself and peck Toby's lips. The softness nearly makes me continue and I linger in front of his face. I bite my lip and pull back completely, avoiding his stare. 

Mom smiles to herself and looks down into her purse. "You know what? I left my cash in the compartment of my car. Give me a moment to get it." She walks out to her car.