masquerade - REMUS

YOUNG!REMUS LUPIN x READER

In which Y/N meets a charming boy at a Hogwarts masquerade ball, instantly feeling intrigued by him

--

        An annual masquerade ball was being thrown for the seventh year students in Hogwarts. Everyone was overjoyed about the event, the boys were starting to planning out who they're going to ask out for the occasion, the girls started to plan out the dresses they were going to wear.

        Y/N, on the other hand, wasn't at all thrilled for the celebration. She laid on her bed in her dormitory, quietly reading a book. Lily barged into the dorm they shared, looking ecstatic as ever with a dress in her hand. "The ball in is in a few hours and I'm so excited...wait why aren't you dressed yet?"

        The girl looked up from the book in her hand, "Oh, well, I decided I'm not going to go." She smiled, her eyes focusing back on her book.

        Lily was fuming. "Wha-what do you mean you're not going? You have to go! This is the best event of the year!"

        She sighed. "I don't care, I'm not going. End of discussion."

        The redhead set her dress down on the bed beside Y/N, "You have to come to this, I can't go alone. I have to have someone beside me."

        "You'll have James." The girl smirked at the expression that Lily had at the moment she said that.

        "T-That's different. Anyway, you're my best friend. You have to come to this, I can't just go alone."

        Y/N was convinced. She didn't know what else to do than go to the ball with her, it was only for Lily anyway. Several minutes followed by silence, Y/N contemplating if she should go or not. Finally coming up with her decision, she stood up. Her best friend had a face full of hope. "Fine. I-I'll go."

        Lily was more than relieved to hear her say that, she grasped the girl into a hug. "Thank you so much! I'll be getting ready by now, you should too."

        The girl stopped her, "Wait! But only on one catch..." The redhead looked at her in bewilderment. "Since we're all going to be wearing masks I want to keep my identity a secret. So tonight I'm not Y/N, I'm..." She opened the inside of her closet, fisted a random dress that could be a possibility to wear to the occasion, noticing that it's a long red dress she continued her train of thought, "Scarlet."

        Lily clapped her hands together with enthusiasm, "Oh I love it! I'm so happy you'll come with me, Scarlet." She clutched her dress from the bed in her hand, "I'll see you in a few minutes because I call bathroom first!"

        When Lily left the room Y/N couldn't help but break into a smile thinking how she could possibly pull off a name like that.

--

        It was a quarter to six o'clock, seventh-year students started to descend down from their common rooms to the Great Hall of Hogwarts. Hardly anyone could tell who the other was, from the mask that each and every person was wearing.

        The Marauders were descending the stairs that led to the Great Hall. Black suits and skinny black ties with white shirts underneath, their hands tucked into their suit pockets each of their black masks matching the other.

        Remus sighed, "Guys we look stupid. We're all matching each other."

        "Shut up we look good, stop trashing my idea." Sirius rolled his eyes.

        "Mates he's right we look good, gotta think positively for this event." James smiled.

        "You're only saying this because Lily is gonna come through those stairs any minute looking 'oh-so-gorgeous in her dress.'" Sirius chuckled.

        "Hush now." James shushed his friend. The Marauders were leaned against the staircase. Heels were being clicked down the stairs, the young men looked up to see who was coming down the stairs now. Their eyes were met with two beautiful young ladies, however with two extremely different personalities. One of the girls was styling a beige pink satin gown with ruffles along with a rose gold lace embellished mask that complimented her attire. The other girl was the opposite and did not dress as bright but with more sophistication, a long dark red evening gown endorsed with a midnight black elegant phantom mask.

        The duo came down the stairs with confidence, James instantly recognized who one of the girls were by the red hair peeking through. "Looking good Evans."

        Lily smiled at the Potter boy. "Yeah, whatever. You too, I guess."

        Remus was staring at the other girl's every move as she descended down the staircase with elegance and poise. She had a careless atmosphere surrounding her, she didn't care what other people thought, and he felt attracted to that.

        Sirius leaned next to him, "You should really stop staring, I'm pretty sure it's freaking her out." Remus shook him off, continuing to gaze at the beautiful girl in front of him.

        Once she joined the floor of the hallway with the young men she looked at the sandy-haired young man, "I agree with him, you could stare a little less." She smirked.

        He chuckled scratching the back of his head awkwardly. "I'm sorry you just- you look...stunning."

        She had a smug expression. "You don't look too bad yourself."

        "You have no idea who I am, do you?" Remus asked. The girl shook her head. "Well, you're going to find out if you dance with me." He held his hand out to her. With hesitation, she took it. They walked into the Great Hall together, a slow song was booming through the hall.

        The pair started to sway, Remus' hand on her waist and Y/N's hand on his shoulder. "The name's Y/-" She stopped herself from saying her real name, "Scarlet."

        "Scarlet. Hm, fake name?" The young man raised his eyebrow through his mask.

        She looked up at him, melting into his soft coffee-colored eyes. "What if it was?" She challenged.

        "Then I'll respect that you're keeping your identity. But from me, really?"

        "So you're thinking that I'm going to go weak in the knees, tell you my name, fall in love with you, and kiss you?"

        "Well, pretty much." Remus smiled.

        The girl chuckled. "But what's the fun in that? The objective of this whole night is to be mysterious, sophisticated, and sexy. Do you really want me to ruin that?"

        "Yes." He took off his mask, "Because I don't care about my identity."

        The girl looked at the young man in shock to see that it was none other than Remus, her longtime crush. "Remus?"

        "See? That's the exciting part. Now I want to know who you are since you seem to know me."

        "You'll have to see that by the end of the night." The girl walked away from him to the punch table. Which left him wondering how a girl could be so mysterious yet so intriguing.

--

word count: 1555