Chapter Thirty-Nine-

Start from the beginning

      “Kim. I don’t know if you’ve received the texts that I’ve sent you or not, but a hundred texts doesn’t make up for my behavior. Nothing does. I used you. I cheated on you, and I didn’t even deserve you. I’m sorry,” Logan gulped.

      “Anything else?” Kim asked icily.

      “I talked to Katrina,” he said, surprising me along with the rest of the assembled people. “She admitted that the reason she cheated on me was she was scared. She didn’t know what love felt like, and was scared of falling with no one to catch her.”

      “Bullshit,” Kim said, shaking her head.

      “No, Katrina Selby does indeed possess emotions,” Logan said calmly.

      “Envy, anger, and deceit among them,” Owen mumbled.

      “She told me she wanted to start over. She regrets what she did, and I told her the same. We were young, didn’t know any better, and now want to crazily try it all over again,” Logan laughed humorlessly.

      “So are you two… going out?” Mia questioned.

      “I don’t know,” he said. “I think we’re trying to be friends, and seeing where it takes us.”

      “Good luck,” I found myself saying. I think deep down inside, or in another life, I secretly love that mushy, gross, crappy, romantic, fairytale shit. Every girl deserves her Prince Charming. I was lucky enough to snag Chase as mine, and I do hope that Katrina realizes that Logan is hers. There’s something magical about a girl finding her happy ending that appeals to me.

      “Thanks,” Logan said.

      “I don’t know about you guys,” I said nervously, unsure of how they’d take it, “but I think I’m ready and mature enough to forgive this guy.”

      “Me too,” Izzy said, backing me up on my proclamation.

      “I need more time,” Kim admitted, “but I will acknowledge the fact that you’re sorry.”

      “Thank you,” Logan said solemnly.

      “I forgive you,” Mia said easily.

      “It’s beginning to feel like one of those campfire circles where everyone tells secrets and sings songs; I don’t like it,” I said, wondering how my brain makes connections. From apologies to campfires. I think it’s safe to say that’s talent right there! Trent laughed, ultimately agreeing with me.

     “Jules is right, and considering I hate those campfire circles, I’m going to have to say I’ll try to forgive you, dude,” Trent said.

     “This doesn’t concern me in the slightest, in fact, I’m not even sure why I’m here, so I obviously forgive you, Logan… though I was never truly upset with you in the first place,” Owen said.

     “Thanks, guys,” Logan said. “I really am sorry for being such a tool.”

     A bell sounded, and reminded me that we actually had school going on around us. “Crap!” I said. “I have a literature final!”

     “Ha. Have fun writing essays on stories that dead people wrote!” Trent said. I shook my head, smiling, and walked out of the auditorium, leaving the six to catch up and bond more.

     They’re good kids. I don’t even know how I became friends with them, but I’m glad I did. I wouldn’t change them for anybody in the world, and I do think that they’ll eventually come around to Logan once again. The bond that the six of them share is something truly remarkable that I doubt will be broken.

     Though I was included in this little get together, it wasn’t about me. I’m still, and always will be, an outsider to that group. I’m just glad I’ve gotten the chance to at least try to be friends with them. They’re a unique crowd, and each bring something different and special to the friendship. Over the past months, I have learned something from each and every one of them about myself, and about life in general. I don’t think one little screw up by Logan will tear up a group that strongly tied.

     “Hey beautiful,” someone whispered into my ear. I looked up, and saw that Chase had somehow materialized beside me by some great miracle… or he was tracking my phone and stalking me so he knew where I was at all times. I’m going to have to go with the first.

     “Hi!” I said.

     “So, you ditched whale class?” he asked, drooping his arm around my shoulder.

     “Yup!” I said.

     “What happened?”

     “Logan apologized and some shit.”

     “Fun.”

     “Not really,” I sighed. “I have a literature final next. If I die, you can have all my shoes.”

     “You’re not going to die, and, no offense, but I don’t really want your shoes,” he laughed.

     “Oh Chasey!” I said. “How’s Sam doing?”

     “Well considering Gloria sends pictures of him every ten seconds, I’d say pretty good,” he assessed.

     “That’s nice,” I smiled.

     “How are you doing besides all this?”

     “I think I’m ready for the summer,” I said longingly.

     “Yeah, me too. Look on the bright side, Jules, there’s only a month left. I think we can make it,” he said cheerfully.

     “As long as I have you, I think I’ll be able to make it through anything- finals included.”

     “Oh Jules,” he said, bringing me into his body more. I looked up at his face, and planted a gentle peck on his lips. By the glint in his eyes I could tell that he wanted more of a kiss almost as much as I didn’t want to take my test.

     “Bye Chase,” I said, slipping out of his grip.

     “Bye Jules,” he said, allowing me to leave him. “I love you!”

     “I love you too,” I called behind me as I began my journey to the room where I would be taking a literature exam sent from Hell. With Chase, even something as mentally grueling as finals are possible.