Chapter Thirty-Three

       “Eden?” Chase questioned, a smile trying to hide its presence on his face.

       “Shut up,” I said.

       “Julia!” my mother said firmly again.

       “Yes?” I said, slightly anxious.

       “Why didn’t you ask your father or me if this boy could come over?” she said. Though I couldn’t see her face, I presumed her expression to be less than a happy one.

       “You remember Talia’s brother, don’t you?” I asked, removing Chase’s arm from my shoulder, and standing up to face her.

       “Yes,” she said stonily.

       “Well, this is Chase, Talia’s brother,” I said, reaching down and grabbing Chase’s arm, bringing it up.

       “Mr. Ryan, since my daughter has yet to explain to me why you’re here, maybe you can enlighten me!” she said, glaring at the back of his head. I yanked Chase’s arm, and pulled him up so he too could face the wrath of my mother.

       “We were hanging out,” he replied nervously.

       “Uh huh. Julia, care to elaborate on that?”

       “Chase and I are dating,” I sighed.

       “Didn’t you just break up with Josh?”

       “Yes! Four months ago!” I said, not understanding why she would bring up such a touchy subject.

       “I liked Josh,” she said calmly, “what exactly happened?”

       “He cheated on me, doesn’t matter, I’m dating Chase now,” I said.

       “Uh huh. Chase, how would you like to stay for dinner?” she asked courteously, though there was something about the way she asked that made me think there were reasons other than politeness behind the invitation.

       “Sure…” he said apprehensively, also uncertain if we were headed right into a trap of some kind.

       “Okay, then it’s settled. Chase-” she began.

       “I’m home!” Adam yelled from somewhere else in the house. And that would be one of the many reasons I love my brother; his timing is always perfect.

       “In the living room!” I called, hoping that he would be able to save us.

       “I was going to go out myself, but since Adam’s here, how about the three of you go shopping,” she suggested.

       “Uh… okay,” I said.

       “Here,” she said, handing me a piece of paper she had fished out of her pocket.

       I accepted it, and looked down, scanning the various loops and squiggles that formed a shopping list. “Okay then… Let’s go, Chase,” I said, tugging him by the shirt out of the room. I held my breath as I passed my mother, unable to read into her actions.

       “What a cute couple!” Adam mocked once he saw us.

       “I know, aren’t we?” Chase said.

       “Mom said we have to go get this stuff,” I said, rolling my eyes, and handing Adam the list.

       “I just got home,” he whined, “I don’t want to go out again!”