The Tryout

Harry’s POV

                I walk inside the music building where I practice for Dames and Dukes on a regular basis, but today, I’m not here to practice.  Today is the audition day for the Spring Sing, and I’m really nervous.  You’d think I wouldn’t be because I’m going to get in no matter what, but it’s different.  This audition will determine what part I will sing and if I play a special part which is just as terrifying for me as actually making it.

                As soon as I approach the entrance, Marcel is there happily waiting for people to come audition.  I have to admit, it absolutely freaked out when I saw him at the first Spring Sing practice.  I was completely unaware that I had an American twin on this campus.  Even my good friend Henry agreed we looked almost exactly alike.  The only difference between us is our voices and how we dress, but that is about it.

                When Marcel sees me, he smiles at me and I can see him registering how similar we look. “Are you here to audition for Once Upon a Loch?” He asked me.  Honestly, I have no idea how he can stand wearing long sleeve dress shirts all the time.  The only long sleeve shirts I ever wear these days are plaid flannels or maybe a leather jacket.

                “Harry Styles,” I told him.  Marcel picks up a notepad and searches for my name.

                “Aw, here we go!  So nice to meet you!  I’ll check your name off and if you can just wait in the auditorium until it’s your turn that would be great.  I think the wait should be only about ten minutes at most.  Good luck!” Marcel wished me.

                “Thanks, mate,” I told him back.  I walk inside the auditorium quietly and I see someone is trying out right now.  I see Zoe sitting in the dead middle of the auditorium and some girls up front.  I sit by the girls who are here to audition and they just so happen to be Sarah, Jenny, and Elizabeth.  I smile as soon as they make eye contact with me.

                “Harry, hey,” Sarah whispered.  Jenny and Elizabeth simply just waved at me since the girl was still singing.  “Are you auditioning too?”

                “Yeah, you all?”

                “Yep, we are too,” Sarah told me.  I sat next to Sarah while Jenny and Sarah sat on the other side, so I couldn’t talk to Jenny unfortunately.  I wish I could sit next to her and talk to her.  It’s because you like her, idiot. Wait, what?  I have an inner voice now.  I don’t acknowledge what it said, but my thoughts are interrupted because I hear Zoe talking.

                “Thank you, Michelle,” Zoe told her. “I’m probably going assign your voice to Alto, but it may also become instrumental background depending on the song.  You’ll know your dance partner next week at our first real practice.  You’re free to go.”

                Michelle smiled and she walked off the stage.  Instrument background?  What could she mean by that?  I haven’t heard what a full audition yet, and Zoe turns around to see us four.  “I am ready for a new audition.  Whichever of you four wants to go first can go,”

                Sarah reluctantly got up first and she walked up the stage. 

                “Name please,” Zoe asked her.

                “Sarah Carlton,” She answered reluctantly.

                “Part Time or Full Time?”