A Lovely Joust

Niall's POV

                I see a big crowd gathering on the edge of the Park and I’m already getting nervous.  Today my fellow pledges and I are going to be the participants in the annual Cavaliers’ Joust.  We have been told much about this event, but I was surprised to see such a crowd.  I see Zayn with several Theta Mu girls from what I can tell some are pledges, some are not.  I also see the attractive girl who got an out on me to close the kickball game at the Theta Mu/Cavaliers mixer.

                I’ve been looking for her on campus, so it’s a pleasant surprise to see her.  Does Zayn know that I want to meet her?  I don’t remember talking about it.  Zayn then looks at me and nods to me.  I guess he could tell I thought she was attractive.  I think I’m slightly embarrassed if it was obvious to one of my best mates.

                My attention on the group is snapped when I feel a pat on my shoulder from Seth. “It’s go time.”  He told me.  I turned to the opposite side of the Park where Cavaliers’ officers stood with a various assortment of curious items and a giant spinning wheel to determine what I’m jousting with from the curious assortment.  This could get interesting.

                “Calling all Cavaliers! We are ready to give out the rules to the 42nd annual Joust of the Cavaliers!  For the first several matches, we will be playing in a round-robin style where you will joust against everyone in no particular order.  From there, we will proceed to the tournament and whoever wins get a prize,” The president said boldly.  There were murmurs from both participants and audience members about this prize.

                “The game is rather simple.  Before each match you will come to this fair wheel,” He points to the wheel with both hands, “to determine your weapon of choice.  Some items will help you knock your opponent off balance, other items may not be so helpful,” I could see that with I see a broom and a tiny rubber ducky in the same pile.

                “After you have picked your item of choice, you and your opponent will go to opposite sides of the field,” The field is clearly marked by giant cones for the square area. “After a count of three, you will be allowed to begin running as fast as you can and only as fast as you can in a straight with your item being the object to knock the opponent off balance.  You can’t use your body so some of these items might force you to be creative.”

                I stare at some of these objects and I wonder how the crap I’m going to use them as a means to knock someone over.  “Questions?” The president said.

                “Yeah, can we throw our weapons at the opponent?” Seth asked.

                “You must certainly can and we’re even giving you fencing masks so you can throw to the face if you want!” At that there were hearty cheers. 

                “Are we being scored in the first part?” Some pledge asked that I couldn’t see.

                “Yes! 2 points for a victory, 1 point for a tie, and 0 points for falling over even if your opponent falls over.  These points will determine how you’re ranked in the tournament.  When we get to the tournament, we will play sudden death which means you will play your opponent until one of you wins and gets to advance.” The president added.

                “So are you saying if both guys fall over in a match, both get 0 points?” Johnathan clarified.

                “Correct.  Any more last questions before we begin?” The president asked.  No one spoke up this time.  “Perfect!  First up is Niall and Seth and next up is Spencer and Charles,”