Chapter Thirty-Eight

Start from the beginning

       “Well by breathing I’m doing better than Brett,” Chase joked, as she burst into another bubbly fit of laughter.

       “This boy,” Gloria pointed to Chase, the sleeve of her hospital gown moving with her arm as she did so, “is a keeper.”

       “That he is,” I said, observing my boyfriend interact with the newborn.

       “Jules is pretty cool too,” Chase said, looking up at me to smile.

       “Maybe,” I sighed, sitting down on a chair.

       “Gloria, I have a question for you,” Michael proclaimed.

       “Are there multiple answers, or am I to be expected to only answer either the affirmative, or the negative?” she questioned, turning to face him.

       “Being the independent woman you are, you can answer however you’d like, but I wouldn’t mind if you chose the affirmative as your choice of replying,” he shrugged.

       “So, what do you have to ask me?” I eyed the couple from the chair I was comfortably seated in, intrigued by the conversation they were having. I got out my phone, and discreetly began recording a video.

       Michael bent down, so he was on one knee, and pulled a blue box out of his back pocket. “This is not happening, this is not happening, this is not happening!” Gloria excitedly shrieked, pressing her hands up to her cheeks, and shaking her head in disbelief.

       “Gloria Torres,” Michael said, holding the now open box up to her in two hands, “will you marry me?”

       Gloria was speechless, staring down at what I assumed to be the ring in awe. “No ‘Will you make me the luckiest man alive’ or ‘Do me the honor of becoming my wife’?” she questioned.

       “Nope. I already am the luckiest man alive by simply having the pleasure to have dated you, and you becoming my wife is kind of already implied,” Michael said. “Must I repeat the question again, or are you going to answer me.”

       “Michael Ryan, I would love to marry you!” she said, taking the object symbolizing the ultimate commitment, and sliding it on her finger. From where I was sitting, I could see that it was a silver band with a large blue stone in the middle. It was classy and nice. It fit the couple well.

       She hugged him, and then passionately kissed him on the lips. Chase turned around, whispering something to the infant about not wanting to expose him to acts such as this quite yet. The couple continued to hug, and then Gloria started crying.

       “I can’t believe that the same boy who chased me around the playground in kindergarten would actually amount to do something crazy like ask me to marry him…” Gloria said, beaming.

       “Congrats,” Chase said, assuming the appropriate response.

       “You know what this means, don’t you Chase?” Gloria asked, mischief thickly encircling her words.

       “What?”

       “You get a new sister!”

       “Ugh. Talia’s one too many!” he groaned.

       “Oh shut up!” she said, approaching him, and reclaiming her son. She easily got on the bed in the middle of the room, and held him peacefully. I noticed his eyelids droop, and assumed he was sleeping.

       “Would you two mind leaving, I want to talk to Gloria alone,” Michael said somewhat politely. Chase nodded, and the two of us exited the room. I closed the door behind us, and we were immediately swarmed with an interrogation by the others who were eagerly waiting outside the room.