Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

      “I apologized, didn’t I?” he said.

      “Yeah, but what does that five-letter word really mean? Sorry. When I was little, and made a mistake that term would tumble out of my mouth as if on reflex. It didn’t mean a thing to me; it was merely the proper etiquette I had grown up learning,” I paused, turning to see him looking down at the grim black-carpeted floor. “What I later learned is that actions speak louder than words. If you show that you are genuinely sorry, then your apology will hold more validity.”

      “So what am I suppose to do, Jules?”

      “Apologize again,” I reasoned.

      “What if they turn me down again?”

      “They probably will.”

      “So then what will I do?”

      “Show that you’re sorry by your actions, and keep apologizing until it sets in that you are actually sorry,” I said, not understanding how this basic form of logic couldn’t be apparent to him.

      “How the hell am I supposed to do that?” he asked.

      “Figure it out,” I said, standing up, ready to leave and continue on with my now corrupted perfect day.

      “Jules, wait,” he said, reaching up and tugging on my arm. I sat back down, not fighting it. I turned back to him, and he tried to make eye contact with me, but I wasn’t having it. “I really am sorry.”

      “Then why did you do it in the first place?” I questioned less than lightly.

      “Because I’m idiot,” he said, causing a small smile to appear on my face.

      “Tell that to the others, and they may actually understand,” I said, standing up once again.

      “I did it because of Katrina,” he said, as I was about to exit the row of seats we were sitting in.

      “Katrina?” I said, spinning around to look at him.

      “Katrina,” he nodded.

      “What the hell does Katrina Selby have to do with this?” I asked, moving my hands up to my hair. I undid the tight elastic that was holding my wavy hair in place, and placed it around my wrist, beginning to push my hair back with the use of my hands into a ponytail.

      “Everything,” he said. “I’m sure Aiden told you parts of the story, but he didn’t tell you the whole thing.”

      “What he did leave out?” I asked.

      “You want the whole story?”

      “Sure,” I said, taking the hair tie off my wrist and mindlessly wrapping it around my hair like I had done so many other times before.

      “It was the beginning of freshman year, and I was walking to football tryouts-”

      “You play football?” I questioned skeptically.

      “I used to,” he shrugged.

      “Chase plays football,” I commented.

      “Yeah, we can discuss your shit taste in guys after I finish my story,” he said, shaking his head.

      “Fine,” I said, rolling my eyes. I sat back down in a seat, knowing that I would most definitely be missing an “educational opportunity”, or in my case, sleep. Who actually pays attention to movies during school?