Chapter Thirty-Three

Börja om från början

       “Too bad, let’s go,” I said, walking past him to the door.

       “Is she serious?” I heard Adam ask Chase.

       “Afraid so,” Chase replied. I shook my head, and jogged down the stairs, wanting to get out of the house. I pulled on my black Converse I had left to dry, not caring if they were still damp or not, considering that I would be going out anyways, resulting in them becoming even wetter. Chase and Adam soon followed. Chase put on his shoes, as Adam took out his phone and quickly texted someone.

       “You kids ready now?” Adam asked, slipping his phone into his back pocket.

       “Yeah…” I said, grabbing a jacket that was hanging on the banister of the stairs and putting it on. As I did so, it occurred to me that I was wearing only a T-shirt and sweats. Classy Jules, real classy.

       We exited the house, and were instantly pelted with tiny droplets of water coming from the sky. Raindrops began to seep into my canvas shoes, and soak my feet for the second time today. Though rain may be annoying, somewhat depressing, and, well, wet, I like it. Rain always gives me a sense of calmness and tranquility.

       Chase and I slid into the back seats of Adam’s car so we could sit together, and Adam seated himself in the driver’s seat. I brought the seatbelt across my chest, making sure it was properly placed. Adam twisted his key in the ignition, causing the entire car to come to life, and stepped on the pedal. Here we go.

       “So, Eden?” Chase said.

       “Eden,” I nodded.

       “Why?”

       “My parents thought it was a pretty name, and my dad was fixated on having our initials spell something out,” I explained, retelling the story I had heard many times before.

       When my parents were picking out baby names, they knew they wanted something with a J. I was originally going to be named Jaclyn. Thankfully, my parents had the good sense to change that. My mom said the reason she convinced my father against it was because it may have led to people calling me “Jack” or “Jackie”. She didn’t want her little girl to have a boy’s name.

       “So, you’re initials are JET?” he asked.

       “Yup,” I said. I think that’s kind of cool. Jet. Being associated to a type of plane isn’t the worst thing to happen. Jets are cool, right? Even if they aren’t, I’m epic, therefor jets are too.

       “Huh. Wait, so both of your initials spell out something?” Chase mused.

       “Yeah,” I said.

       “Adam, what’s you middle name?” Chase asked. I smirked, loving how this conversation was going.

       “Nathan,” Adam mumbled.

       “Nathan?” Chase repeated, processing the piece of the puzzle Adam had filled in.

       “It spells out ‘ANT’,” I said, rolling my eyes.

       “Ant?” Chase echoed.

       “Yes ‘ANT’!” Adam said, swerving the car, causing me to collide into Chase.

       “Don’t perturb the driver, especially when they don’t know how to drive,” I warned, attempting to move back to my side of the car, only to be restricted by Chase’s arms wrapping around me. As much as the idea of laying in Chase’s arms is alluring, when Adam’s the one driving it isn’t the most appealing thing in the world.