Chapter 97 - The Battle of Hogwarts • Mothers and Daughters

Start from the beginning

I ran up to her. When I reached her, she closed me in her arms. She smelled like I had imagined she did. It was jasmine. Maybe it reminded me of my first mother. I always dreamed that they had that in common.

"I am so proud of you, sweetheart," she said and looked at me with warm brown eyes. I never really believed anyone when they said looked so much like my mother but now I simply had to. She was the same as me and only the eyes made the difference clear.

"Mum..." I said. I didn't know quite what else to say for the first time.

"I am so happy to finally see you. Well, actually. I am glad that you can see me. You might not know this but I was always on your side," she said. There was something calm about her voice but also strong.

We stood there for some time, not quite knowing what to say but the silence was not awkward. We started walking through the meadow and back to the coast.

"You are not lucky," she said after a long and comfortable pause. "You have lived all your life with a piece of Tom's soul trapped inside you. The Horcrux was created before you were even born, while I was still carrying you. You were never yourself. It was always with you. But now, if you want to, you can go back and live a life that is fully your own," she said.

"That means I have a choice?"

"You do have a choice. You always have a choice. I have to tell you something, Annalise, and I will tell you so, because I think you are strong enough to take it. I have seen your future, if you go back. The truth is that your life will be much shorter than you expect. It will be much more enjoyable than it was up until now, but it will be short. But during this time you will have changed the life of all the wizards and witches and creatures of the wizarding world. You will inspire thousands with your work. You should know, your life is going to keep being tough. One doesn't become a leader without one earning enemies. But sooner than you think, you are going to become a Minister. And your reign will be as long as your life."

"And what if I stay here?" I asked.

"Life is more peaceful here, Annalise. It is easier to be with the dead. You will have to fight down there... And fighting is never easy. Don't think that killing Voldemort is the end. It is the beginning. It is the beginning of a new life. And life is never easy but it's worth fighting for."

"Mom. I don't really want to leave you..." I said. "You have been through so much because of me. I-"

"Annalise... Don't ever blame yourself about it. You are my daughter. And I would die a thousand times to protect you. But if it makes a difference for you to know it, here it is; I will never leave you. I never did and I never will. You carry me around every day. I will be in every good act, in any ordinary act of love, in any kiss, in any kind word. And so will your father."

"My father did this to me... I don't want him with me," I said.

"I know, Annalise. The truth is that killing a part of him inside you will never erase your last name. You will always have his eyes. And every time you look yourself in the mirror you will remember him. You will be followed by his ghost, so to speak. He is your father. Don't deny it. Don't try to shove it away. Accept it. Make it your strength," she said.

"How could the fact that he will always be my father become a strength? How could I accept this man? And how did you ever fall in love with him?"

"How did you fall in love with Draco?"

"Draco is not Voldemort. They are not the same, not even close!" I said.