Chapter 61 - The Kiss

Start from the beginning

"This is because they know I'm the daughter of a very strong woman. I don't want to be judged by my family. I want to be judged by my work. And the history of our or the muggle world has shown me those trusted because of their family are not as great as their parents."

"Do you want to see if you count? Go for the speech tomorrow. Maybe that will prove you something."

"A speech that you will make for me? A speech that you will write me? No, thank you!"

Everyone stared as if I was offensive. I knew I wasn't. I was telling them the truth.

"I agreed to do this. I agreed to go on with this game. If you want this to work with me, then no one should try to manipulate me."

"No one is doing such-"

"You think I don't know Dumbledore has told you what to tell me? I take your advice and I thank you for it. Maybe I'll follow some of it. Everything will be judged by me. Personally. No one will influence me."

"We are merely trying to help-"

"Do you want me to be a leader? This is how it's done! These are the makings of a leader. A leader is not narrow minded. But a leader is brutal with injustice, too."

The room was silenced for a minute as I was looking at each and one of the people around me with fearlessness.

"This is exactly what we wanted to hear, Annalise. You're right. These are the makings of a leader," said Lupin, smiling.

"Dumbledore didn't tell us anything," said Moody.

I smiled slightly and looked at my hands.

"I will go upstairs now and I want each and every one of you coming one by one, separately. You will give me your advice and you will not be influenced by anyone else that way."

"Wise choice," said Kingsley.

"Anything else?"

"And I want to take the advice from people I trust, too. I need Professor McGonagall coming over. And I need Dumbledore and Harry. Tell them to come over. Oh, no, not Harry. We've arranged to go for a coffee with him tonight so I'll see him in the afternoon."

"I thought you didn't trust Dumbledore, adding to what you said before," said Lupin.

"Who said I did? But he is my godfather and I will talk to him," I said and stood up. "That will be all," I said and went to the upstairs room.

*     *     *

When I got to out meeting place with Harry, at a small coffeehouse next to a train station, he was already there, reading a copy of the Daily Prophet. It was raining outside and the night was slowly turning black.

"Hey! Sorry for being late. They wouldn't let me leave the house!" I gasped and sat down.

"A speech?" he said. I noticed his grim face and his serious eyes when he jumped right into the issue.

"I would tell you just now..." I said, astonished that he had added this to our almost nonexistent conversation is such a raw way, as if he was mad about it.

"Did the Order push this?" he almost shouted.

"Maybe?" I said and frowned, not really knowing what his problem was.

"Are they absolutely insane?"

"Why are you saying this?"

"Annalise! Have you looked at your face and body lately? You are still covered in marks, you still have the bruises Voldemort gave you. What you're hiding behind the bandages is a cracked scull. In the muggle world, you would be dead right now! If it wasn't for magic you would be dead! And they think you can just suck everything up, play their games, run for Minister, gain them some power before breakfast?"