Chapter 58

Chapter 58

My mother's eyes gleam, like she has been expecting us to bring bad news all over the town. She knows there's something wrong, that something bad is coming. Mom is always like that; she already knows that there's something wrong even without me telling her. I guess that's just how mother's instinct works. My father squeezes my mother's hand and everyone falls into silence, neither one is speaking as we continue to gaze at each other. The house has become uncomfortably quiet, and there's a tension thickening every second. This is what I hate. I know that I have to speak, to tell the bad news, but it seems like I can't bring myself on telling my beloved mother. She deserves to know everything; the town deserves to know that there's going to be a war. They must be prepared for the upcoming battle. I sigh. Damen puts a hand on my shoulder and nods at me.

"So..." I begin lamely. They wait. "When we traveled, when I left home, the outside... it's full of monsters. Unknown creatures such as faceless creatures, werewolves, and other monstrous creatures. They are very creepy. It seems like they are not dying. When we kill them, it's like they are being reborn. The whole gang, we kept fighting them so we could save our lives and to live and reach the end of the Journey. It took us a couple of weeks to reach the end.

"I found - Hell, everyone found out that what they had thought in the first place wasn't true at all. There are other people living outside. A total of twelve. Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces. They are cities. We're not living on our own, mom. Each city, every year, they send one girl or one man to travel through the Journey and reach the end. But that's another story later on. So we fought, and fought, and fought until we lost our breath, until we recovered, until we reached the end. When we reached the end, it's another city; a place where all the people are living. My first question when I reached the city was: Why does each city send one man or woman to travel through the Journey and reach the city? What reason does it serve? Why are the cities separated? There were a lot of questions that were answered, but when I stayed there, a new set of questions popped up. You know me, mom, I'm a naturally curious person. If I want to know something, I'd definitely look for the answer.

"I did look for the answers, but I had trouble looking for them. I felt like I was a spy, searching for the answers. Brent helped me. Friends helped me. The one who rules the Zodiac City, that's what the city is called, is an evil woman. The reason why a man or woman is being sent into the Journey is because of the prophecy. Penthra, the leader of the Zodiac City, has a purpose; when she finds out the one who the prophecy is talking about, she will kill it. The Chosen One is bound to rule the Zodiac City and its people; even the Zodiac Signs. Once we made sure that Penthra is really evil, Brent and I heard Penthra's guards talking about her killing someone, she tried to track us, and she wanted us killed. She wants us to die. Now that we know her dirty, little secret, we ran. Dad and the others joined me to get out of the Zodiac City. They also knew that there's something wrong happening, They felt it. We felt it. I felt like I had to expose her to everyone to let everyone know that she's not who everyone thinks she is. She's an evil woman who loves to keep us in this damned world. This isn't the real world, mother.

"There's also a story about this evil Queen who transformed the world into this mess up society. According to a story, she was thrown out of her throne because she had killed an entire clan, which was the 13th Zodiac Sign called Ophiuchus. The Evil Queen had a reason. She killed the Ophiuchus clan because according to the prophecy, another Zodiac Sign would be born, which is the 14th Zodiac Sign, with the blood of Ophiuchus. As she was thrown out of her place, she put a very powerful spell around this world, trapping us. Mom, I can sense, I can feel it, I can feel that there's another world that awaits us. Mom, do you know that I have a different power?"

"I knew," my mother immediately answers, pursing her lips as she stares at me. She stares at me for a long time and I feel like every part of me is being violated. She knows that I have a different power and yet she didn't tell me. But this is not about her, and I know that I should not be mad at her because it's not really her fault, but it would be nice if she had told me because I was really confused. I frown at her. "Your father, he has a different power. I was guessing that since you're his child, you would get the genes and you did. I felt it. It's emanating off of you. Your father and I, we really didn't know why he possesses a different power other than what we should have."

"Mixed bloods," Damen cuts in, placing the spoon on the table beside the bowl of soup. My mother looks at her, brows furrowing in confusion. "Mixed bloods. They are called Ophiuchus. A child that has a blood of two different signs. Daryl and I, we are the 13th Zodiac Sign Ophiuchus. Dylan was no longer Ophiuchus..." His eyes glint in my direction. They all stare at me and I feel a lump forms in my throat. It seems like I suddenly have a hard time to open up my mouth and speak.

"Love," my father begins, his hands tightening around my mother. Mom sighs against my father's touch and she leans down on her shoulder. "Dylan... Dylan is the prophecy is talking about. He is the first who bears the 14th Zodiac Sign called Cetus. Dylan will be the ruler of the Zodiac City. Our son is destined to rule our world. Our son is bound to fight the Evil Queen, and she needs all the possible help. It's the main reason why we went back here, to convince everyone to go on a war with us to fight for our freedom. Dylan's right; there's another world that awaits us."

My father explains everything to my mother and my mother seems like she's going to cry. She looks at me with teary eyes, stands up, and runs over the table to hug me. She sniffs and I feel myself tensed against her touch. I don't know what to tell her. I can't even see her expression, whether she's proud that I'm destined to rule the world or she feels pity on me for bearing such a big responsibility. Shawn's hand squeezes mine and I feel myself relax. Even though he's not speaking, Shawn is still doing his best to assure me that everything is going to be just fine just like what everyone else is saying.

"You do know that I'm already in, right?" My mother whispers in my ear and I feel my heart swell at her words. She's in. My mom will fight alongside with other people to free ourselves in this messed up world. "Your grandfather, your father, and I didn't become one of the Pisces's best warriors for nothing. I may not be a teenager anymore, but I can still kick some asses."

"I don't doubt that, mother." I say, letting out a chuckle. My mood lightens as she kisses my cheek, like what she used to do when I was a kid. It feels good to be a kid again. I look up at her and see a smile that lets me feel the love she has for me. "After all, I'm your kid. I can kick asses, too."

"That's my son," she says. Mom turns her body to face Shawn. "You, young man, are you up for some fighting?"

"No need to ask, Maxine." Shawn says with full of confidence. His leadership is radiating off of him and I know that Shawn is the one who will help me lead the Zodiac City and its people. "I will fight alongside with everyone. We will win this battle."

Father chuckles. "That's the spirit. I already approved of you, kid."

Shawn lifts his chin up, grinning up at everyone and Brent snorts. When I look at him, a smile is tugged at the edge of his lips. Though I know that Brent likes me, he understand that I can't give up Shawn. He knows that what I feel for Shawn is true love. I just hope Brent would be able to find someone so deserving of his love, someone who would cherish and adore him in every way. Brent is a good guy and one of my best friends, so I hope everything will work out just fine for him.