Chapter 8

Photo: Shawn August Larsen
Portrayed By: Max Bosworth
Chapter Dedicated To: -To Be Announced-

******

Chapter 8

"Geez, does he even know how to smile?" I ask Jelai as she twists her hair, drying her hair off. She just got done swimming in the lake and now fully cleaned. There is no trace of blood on her face anymore. Instead, she's back to the same beauty I saw when I first laid my eyes on her. Jelai gives me a look that literally says I'm dumb and all. "It just takes, like, a few muscles."

"Get used to it, pretty boy." Jelai says as she rolls her eyes and continues to dry her hair. I can't believe that she went skinny dipping in the lake. Of course, I was busy, so was Shawn. He was busy playing with Browdie and still is. She's still wearing the exact same dress that she wore when I first saw her; a cream-colored dress that rests on her knees, a black belt around her waist, showing off her nice, sexy curves. "Sexy beast is always not in the mood." She points out at Shawn, who is busy playing with his pet wolf Browdie. Despite their playing, Shawn is not smiling at all. Neither does Browdie. Those two are very odd. I wonder why he doesn't smile.

Looking at Jelai, she picks up something on the ground and blows on it. It's a ring; a gold ring that shines perfectly. It looks good on her finger, though. She sees me looking at it and gives me a smile.

"My boyfriend gave this to me," she says as she studies her ring, playing with it for a while before looking at me. "I miss him, so much. I only wanted to travel because I want to know what happened to my mom since she had been sent here."

"As well as my father and grandfather," I tell her as I give her a soft smile. She wears the ring and smiles lovingly, her eyes are lighting up. "Would you mind telling me what is your life background? I'll tell you fine so it will be fair."

She nods excitingly and starts to tell her tale. "Well, my name is Jelai Thunderstorm. I live in a city called Gemini. My power is, as you noticed earlier when you were about to get eaten by the fuck-face creature, I can manipulate thunder. Lightning. I saw what yours, water manipulation. It's cool, very. I swear I want to have your powers. Turning water into an ice is awesome, you know. Back in my hometown Gemini, we were basically killing each other with each other's lightning bolt. And nobody thought about having different power. But then I saw yours, and I'm jealous."

"No, it's fine. Yours is awesome, too." I say to her, laughing lightly. From the corner of my eyes, I see Shawn frown at us and then he glares at the both of Jelai and I. But no, the glare is directed at me. His eyes are like basically burning and I have no idea why. I get uncomfortable suddenly. Shawn has some serious trouble with his own head. His hard stare makes me feel uneasy and suddenly, I want to vomit but fight myself against it. It would be disgusting of me to throw up in front of a beautiful lady. I focus my eyes on Jelai. "Well, I'm Dylan Maxon Allen. I was born and raised in the town of Pisces, where the great water manipulators are living peacefully. You know, to be honest, I don't like I belong to the Pisces. Let's just say I'm different."

"What do you mean you're different?"

"It's hard to understand," I tell her, looking at her with uneasy smile. I'm not comfortable at saying these things to anyone I barely know since I haven't opened up to anyone else. Except to my mother and my childhood best friend, Penelope Fisher. "I have a different power. And I have this feeling that this different power of mine is powerful than me manipulating the water. I don't understand it yet, but it's one of the reason why I wanted to go here. I feel like the answers to my odd questions are here."

"You know, if sexiness is part of your power, then it's an awesome power." Jelai says, the edge of her lips tugging into a sly smirk. I just look at her, wanting to tell her if she's out of her mind, but then I have this crazy thought that maybe, she's right. What kind of power is this? "It would be awesome."

"We need to get going," Shawn cuts Jelai and I's conversation. He still has those intense gaze at me and a unknown coldness travels throughout my body that makes me freeze. His voice is cold and dark and it seems like he uses this tone of voice often. When I look into his eyes, I feel something inside my head snaps and it flashes different images: A human figure, brown eyes, a bit tall and a wave of a sea. When I snap out of my thoughts, Jelai is giving me a curious look. What were those images that I just saw?

Standing up without further questions, I dust my butt off and head straight to where my bag is placed and pick it up and sling it over my shoulder. Jelai gives me a grin, her hair is still wet. I notice, too, that she has a backpack but hers are not fully packed at all. I used to think that if you're a girl, you're supposed to know what would you bring if you're going out of the house to hang out with friends or if you want to travel, but this girl is completely different. Despite her sweet look, she has a vicious attitude and always cusses a lot. I've had enough of her cursing when Browdie was being nice to me and only to his owner, Shawn. I told her to move on since Browdie was getting irritated also and she shut up by then.

Together, with Jelai being in the middle, we all start to move forward. That's when my eyes start to scan Shawn, from head to toe. He is wearing a military outfit that hits him fine, and the curves of his muscles and body are showing off. In a way, he's intimidating me. To match the outfit, he has a black boots on and I bet he belongs to those hot models that flash their pearly white teeth for an underwear photo shoot. It's not really a nature of Pisces to do such things, but someone has tried it before. This man, Shawn, screams alpha and he looks like he's ready to kill and snap some bones. As if sensing my gaze, he looks at me from the corner of his eyes and then scowls. Here I am, gawking at the short-tempered guy and I just got caught. What a day.

Keeping the bag close to me, because the water bottle is inside the bag (I turned the spear made of ice into a water again and put them inside the water bottle so I don't have to always carry the spear), we hear a howl and Jelai groans. Probably, Jelai is tired from fighting off the creatures whereas Shawn, well, he doesn't have any fears. His face is in its natural bitch mode, no emotion. And actually, there's no fear radiating around him. Instead, he looks like the fear itself. Sensing my gaze again, he looks into my direction and gives me a deathly glare and I whip my head in front of the road that we're taking and gulp. Jelai keeps walking without looking at us, probably not caring if, there's a chance, ever Shawn jumps on me to kill me. He's bulkier and bigger than me, and he has a good combat and fighting skills. I never really saw him fight those creatures, but the fact that when I turned to look and saw that the creatures were already dead, then Shawn is one of a hella fighter.

Browdie sprints a bit over my side and stays by my side. Shawn's eyes flicker down to his pet wolf and to me. Then he's giving me those looks again that just makes me want to bury myself in the ground and never rise up again. Can't he accept the fact, or should I say reality, that his pet wolf likes me, too? When I look into Shawn, his lips are slightly twitching, almost snarling at me and I feel fear creeps up onto my back, sending signals to my brain that makes my heart beat faster. And now, he's snarling at me and glaring at me hard and I feel heat rushes into my neck to my cheeks. Those eyes are making me feel uncomfortable and I walk faster. The beat of my heart fastens again and I can still feel his stare burning at the back of my head. If his eyes were some sort of a lazer, then there would be a hole at my head already. Browdie nuzzles his nose into my head and I pet him, that's when Shawn snarls again and Browdie whimpers. As usual, Jelai ignores us and keeps walking. I send Browdie a worried look before I decide to walk with Jelai at the same speed.

******

Thank you for reading this chapter! I would never, ever get tired of thanking you guys. The #TheChosenOnes story is at #522 in Fantasy category! Why do you think Shawn is snarling at Dylan? Do you have any idea why? A comment would be good and much appreciated! Thank you again guys!