Chapter 11

Photo: Jelai Thunderstorm
Portrayed By: Behati Prinsloo
Chapter Dedicated To: andnov10

******

Chapter 11

As we walk together further into the cave, the cave gets dimmer and dimmer and the only light we have is Jelai's power. Browdie keeps sniffing the air, checking out to see if there are any monsters lurking around this area. Jelai lifts her hand up and the ceiling can now be seen. There are spiders, big ones, crawling on the top and seeing them makes my skin crawl with fear. I run my palm on my forearms, eyes looking at two sides of the cave. Shawn looks at me with blank eyes and stops abruptly. We all halt to stop and I watch Shawn watch me. Jelai shakes her head at us and begins to walk again when Shawn stops her.

"Don't, Jelai." Shawn warns her and Jelai stops dead on her track and looks at Shawn with annoyance in her eyes. As she watches Shawn, her eyes widen and I probably look like a dumb kid figuring out what's going on right now. "You, too, pretty boy, don't fucking move." Shawn hisses at me and the hairs at the back of my neck stand up as I feel a presence behind me. My heart beats faster and from the corner of my eyes, I see a leg of a big... spider. It makes a screeching noise and I'm basically hyperventilating right now. "Hey, hey, look at me, Dylan." My eyes snap to Shawn and he motions for me to stay put. "Just calm down, okay? Don't move. Trust me." I can feel my head nodding. I think this is the first time Shawn ever said my name. And the fact that he's being nice... while I'm about to die is just crazy. The spider makes another screeching noise and Shawn opens his palm and a big sword magically appears in his hand. My eyes widen at the sight. The sword is sparkling gold and it looks like it has been sharped so many times. There are gems engraved on the sword and it makes the sword look much cooler than it already is.

Shawn bends down his knees a bit, and in one swift motion, he grabs my hand and swings his sword to the big spider and the spider makes a loud metallic noise. Shawn chops off the spider's leg, and then the other one, and then the other, until the spider doesn't have legs anymore. Now that I can see it in full view, the spider is really big. It's a human-size spider! We hear a ses of crawling and that's when Shawn, Jelai, and I run. Jelai looks over her shoulder and uses her fingertip to send a zap of bolt behind our back. I feel sad for myself, knowing that I can't help them. There's no water around me, and I don't know how I should use my other power. I even have no idea what my other power exactly is and what it does. Can it harm a person? Can it harm myself? I went here, thinking that I had all I needed, when I really have nothing. Spiders crawl faster and Browdie barks at us and Shawn overtakes and motions for us to follow him. We do. Browdie runs faster this time, leading the way as we follow Shawn and Browdie's track. Jelai keeps sending one after another lightning bolts behind us to stop the big spiders.

Finally, I can feel the smooth wave of the water near us and I get a feeling that we're successful. Much to my amazement, Browdie leads us to the source of water and I smile widely. When we are near the water, I point my palms on the water and lift them up. Shawn watches me do it and I stop from running and turn on my heels, levitating the water to the direction of the big spiders. I make a round motion on my palm and the water serves as a wall between us and the spiders and I turn the water into an ice by turning my hands into a fist. Jelai makes a whooping sound and dances a bit by jiggling her hips and I laugh out loud. When I take a look at Shawn, he's smiling and when he seems me, the smile has been replaced with a frown, which makes me frown, and then we both scowl at each other. Earlier, he was being nice to me and now, he's going back to his normal self. So arrogant. I let my hand fall down on my side and take a seat on the ground, catching up some air. Jelai takes a seat beside me and together, we both laugh. Are we meant to run? I ask myself. We have no idea where we are. Probably, all we know is that we're travelling through this Journey, and we don't know what awaits us at the end.

"You really have a nice power, pretty boy." Jelai says as she hits me on the arm. I roll my eyes at her and flip her off. She gives me a shrug and looks over the lake.

"I can't really use my power when there's no water around me. It sucks," I say to her honestly. To be honest, everyone around me can fight even though there's no water around them. In fact, they can produce. I can't. I can do a little bit of water power, but I really can't use it to the extent, to the limit. "It's a negative thing for me. One day, I'm going to die without putting up a fight because there's no freaking water around me."

"Don't be so harsh on yourself," Shawn says gruffly. I take a peek over my shoulder and find him staring at me with those always dark and cold eyes. "Everybody has their own weaknesses."

I huff in annoyance. "Then I guess mine is a fucking bullshit."

Sensing my annoyance, Browdie walks to me, puts his big paws on my legs, lifts his head and nuzzles his nose in the crook of my neck and whines, as if my annoyance and kind of self-loathe is affecting him much. I give him smile and run my nose against his and I can hear Shawn snarling and that makes Browdie whines and hangs his head low. I shoot Shawn a death glare and he just rolls his eyes. He's even rude to his own pet. If there's a chance I could to take Browdie and make him my pet, then I would definitely do it without a doubt because Shawn is not that great of a taker. He treats his own pet as a low level animal.

I lean down and massage Browdie's muzzle and when I look into his eyes, he's giving me those yellow puppy eyes and I smile widely down at him and tweak his nose. Browdie looks at his owner with fear evident in his eyes and I move his head at me and force him to look at me. I begin to massage his scalp and Browdie yawns and curls up into a sleeping position. Right now, we're safe and there's no one to bother us. We're in a place where there's a water. I can easily use the water to beat the monsters that will try to attack and hurt us. Jelai uses her bag as a pillow and rests her head on it. I lay down beside Browdie and hug him. I can hear Shawn snarling again and Browdie tenses but I tighten my hold around him. He immediately relaxes and as I think of my Mom, friends, the town of Pisces, I can feel the world slipping away and soon enough, I'm sleeping.

Shawn is doing push-ups when I wake up. Sweats are running down his hard like rock chest and abs and his arms, oh God his arms are so lean and firm and perfect. As if sensing my stare, he takes a quick look at me and I pretend to sleep by shutting my eyes. Browdie stirs in his sleep and I hug him tight. I can hear Shawn panting and I don't know why but it sends something inside me. When I open my eyes, Shawn's face is in front of mine, near mine, too freaking close, and I shriek in shock. Shawn laughs at me as he sees my horrible expression and both Browdie and Jelai wake up with confused eyes watching us. I give him a cold glare and lift my hand and the water starts to levitate, then I move my hand and the water splashes on Shawn and this time, it's my turn to laugh. Even Jelai laughs.

Snarling, Shawn runs and I run, too. Shawn has an angry expression plastered on his face and I know that I made him mad. But it's worth it. After all, he was being a bitch and all. I try to run faster, but he's faster than me. When I'm within reach, he grabs the hem of my shirt and tugs me and we both tumble down. I shut my eyes as I feel the rough ground collides with my body and the pain suddenly explodes on every part of my body. When I open my eyes, Shawn is on top of me, his sweat-covered body is distracting me and that makes me uncomfortable. Shawn sees my uneasiness, so he leans down and his minty breath is fanning my face. God, even though he's sweaty, he still smells good. How does he do that? Shawn smirks at me and leans down until...

******

Cliffhanger! I know. I'm sorry! But I just want to share the news; #TheChosenOnes is #187 in Fantasy category! This is a big achievement, guys! Let's make a noise and wait for the next chapter! I'm pretty sure something will happen on the next chapter. I'll try to update later because you know, I'm kind of tired because I haven't slept yet. So don't ya worry.