Chapter 9

Photo: Jelai Thunderstorm
Portrayed By: Behati Prinsloo
Chapter Dedicated To: bloodedge666

******

Chapter 9

Shawn, Jelai, and I are staring at big cave. The inside is dark, and we're contemplating whether we should go inside or not. It seems like we have to go through this cave. There's no other road. The path that we took led us here. We can't see any other way besides the cave. Shawn bends down a bit and says something in Browdie's ear. Browdie begins to leans his head down and starts sniffing. All of us watch Browdie as he continues to sniff the ground and the air and his ears perk up. We look at each other and know one thing; the creatures are following us now and we have to move.

Without giving much thought, I grab Jelai's hand and together, we run inside the cave. I see Shawn does something when I take a look over my shoulder but doesn't get a chance to see it whole since he's already running after us. Browdie uses his big paws to sprint wildly and serves us our alert. He keeps sniffing the air, checking if there are any threats to our life. We are inside a cave for Pete's sake, and we don't know if this place is safe or not. Of course, it's not. We're in a completely different world, where monsters are trying to kills us. The cave gets dimmer and dimmer, until the darkness takes over and we cannot see other. My heart beaster and the nervousness swirls around my stomach. I know that there's nothing here as of right now since I don't hear any sounds at all.

"Jelai! Shawn!" I call out, getting scared as time goes by. To my relief, they call out my name, too. I take a seat on the ground. My legs are tired and we've been walking for a day. So far, we haven't found any source of food yet. We don't even know if there are foods here. I bet this is the reason why the monsters are after us because they are so hungry. Well, we can't help it, we look tasty. I open up my legs wider and massage them. My legs are getting numbed and my breathing is ragged. I hear footsteps nearing me but I ignore it, since it's probably Jelai or Shawn. I shut my eyes and yelp when a person accidentally steps on my aching leg and falls on top of me. My back hits the rough ground, as well as my head, and I let out a painful groan. The pain explodes in my head and I swear my head is bleeding. Jelai calls out my name again and my eyes widen in realization. It's the bastard, Shawn!

A zap of bolt lights up the cave and when I open my eyes, Shawn is on top of me, his eyes are staring right at me, mouth agape, his arms either side on my head, caging me. Jelai gasps.

"Oh shit," Shawn curses as he scrambles off of me and place a hand at the back of my neck and lift my head slowly. "His head is bleeding, we need medicines or anything that will block the blood from pouring out of his head!" I can feel my eyes shutting down and I'm getting dizzy. That's it, no sorry, no apologies or something. Shawn is really an asshole. We just met yesterday and yet, he infuriates me. I don't like the attitude of this guy. I bet he was thrown here because his neighbors and friends hate him very much because of his attitude. He needs severe help.

I see Jelai hastily fishes something inside her bag and runs over me, kneeeling down and blocks the thick white towel on my head, where the blood is pouring out. She presses it firm on my head and I groan in pain. Jelai shoots me an apologetic look and brushes a strand of my hair. Browdie comes into view, puts his paw on my chest and starts licking my face, which earns a chuckle from me and Browdie whines. I lift my hand and pat him on his head and Browdie whines again, much louder this time. My eyes drift to Shawn and he's looking at me with those evil eyes again and I'm beginning to think he wants me dead. Then as I watch his eyes, images come rushing into my head again: a blink of brown eyes, a smile that is so beautiful that it can light up anyone's world, and a soft laugh that reminds me of my father. And that's it, I become unconscious, darkness greeting me with open arms as I fall into a deep slumber.

+++

My head is placed on a soft pillow, or so it seems like. I smile as I bury my face in the soft pillow but then suddenly, I'm being lifted up and the soft pillow has been replaced by a thick pillow? I don't want to open my eyes just yet. I hear someone groans, and I have an idea who it is. I just ignore it and snuggle closer into the thick pillow and put my arms around another pillow. I sigh in contentment as I'm getting sleepy again. I hear a chuckle and a tsk from Jelai and feel myself smiling against the thick pillow that I'm hugging. I remember my head hitting the ground and bleeding, but it doesn't hurt right now. I'll deal with Shawn later once I regain my strength back. Once again, I think of happy thoughts, like my mother smiling and Penelope Fisher and my friends joking around, and then I fall asleep.

When I wake up, I'm greeted by the sad face of Browdie, who, I think, has been watching me for God knows how long. Once he sees me already awake, he sticks out his tongue and gives me a huge lick on the face and I laugh loudly. I realize that there's no pillow underneath my head nor there's a pillow in my arms. I look at Browdie with a confused expression and he seems he doesn't know also why. It seems like Browdie can read through my expressions. He knows what I'm thinking and what nots. Sitting up, I touch the back of my head and feel the thick white towel that is placed on my head. I take it off and check. It's full of blood and the bleeding has stopped.

My nostrils and ears flare in anger as I think of Shawn being the reason why my head was bleeding, and he didn't even say that he's sorry or something! Running my fingers through my hair, making it tousled, I stand up and see Jelai sitting on the rock as she hums a song softly as she rocks to the left and right. She looks like she's in a deep thought, probably thinking of her family and her boyfriend. My eyes search for the shadow of Shawn but he's not here. As if sensing me, Jelai stops humming an her face lights up and her lips curve into a smile as she looks at me.

"Oh goody, you're awake, bitch." Jelai stands up and walks over me, then goes behind my back to inspect the back of my head. "It has stopped bleeding. That's nice. Don't scare us like that, asshole. You've been sleeping for a nine hours or so."

"Tell that to the asshole named Shawn," I spat and Jelai chuckles and then smirks and then shakes her head. I arch a brow at her and she just shrugs, but there's a teasing smile playing on her lips. "Speaking of him, where is he?"

"Out," she just simply says as she goes back to where she was sitting before and fishes something inside her bag. She pulls out a potato chips inside her bag and offers me. I take a seat beside her. "I think Shawn went out hunting. He doesn't like chips."

"He didn't bring Browdie. It's dangerous out there," I say to her and she just shrugs. Browdie jumps on me and puts his front paws on my knees and gives me a huge lick on the face. I swear this wolf likes to lick me again and again.

"Maybe he commanded Browdie to do something..." She leaves her word hanging as she flips her hair in a girly manner and then inspects her nails. I narrow my eyes at her and roll my eyes and huff.

I grab a handful of chips and shove it into my mouth and offer some to Browdie, which he gladly accepts. Browdie nuzzles his face in my most sensitive part and I blush furiously but don't make a move to push his head away. Jelai senses my uneasiness because she looks at me then her eyes flicker to Browdie's nuzzled face in my sensitive part and she bursts out laughing. I groan and Browdie looks up at me with those yellow eyes of his and jumps on me and then licks my face again. I groan and Jelai laughs harder. Oh, my life is so great right now. It's perfect.

******

#TheChosenOne is #322 in Fantasy! Oh my Gosh. Thank you very much, guys. Much appreciated. I know I write slow, and the progress of the story is slow, but I don't want to rush into things. Dylan has still so many questions going on around his head and needs to figure out what kind of power he has. It's not just a simple manipulation, let me tell you, but don't worry, I drop hints at some of the chapters and I will drop more hints on the next chapters of the story. But right now, let's just wait and enjoy! ♥