Chapter 14

Photo: Brentley Fritz Matthews
Portrayed By: Charlie Matthews
Chapter Dedicated To: ganda_c_ako

******

Chapter 14

Coffee is snuggling beside me and my eyes are constantly looking into left and right, trying to see and check if there are any monsters. This world isn't safe, and I have to constantly remind myself that these monsters are trying to kill us all and we have to fight. On my side, Brent is sleeping with his arms around my waist and I frown at him. Even though he's good looking, he will never be my type. Okay, that's a lie. If I ever become a full-blown gay, I know to myself that I'd get down on my knees and worship him. But that would not happen. He said that he could make himself the most attractive man in the world in my eyes, so I have to be careful. It's not like I don't trust him, I just want to be cautious. Brent murmurs in his sleep and I chuckle. He's muttering about chocolates and candies and bunnies. This guy is kind of weird. Making me blush, Brent softly kicks Coffee away from me and tightens his arms around me and puts his head near my private part. I scowl at his sleeping face, but the tint in my cheeks are still there. I let him rest, though. As long as Brent doesn't do anything, or any touching intimately, then it's fine.

Another hour has passed and that's when Brent wakes up, his eyes fluttering open whereas Coffee is watching me. I give him a small smile and he sticks out his tongue at me, looking like he's happy to see me smile. When Brent is fully awake, he smiles at me widely, and once again, I get blinded because of his teeth. He rolls off and sits in an Indian position and stares at a distance.

"We need to get going," he says as he gathers himself up and brushes off the dust from his butt and pants. "We have a long way to travel and who knows what's out there. We just hope that we can fight 'till the end of the Journey. And as we travel, I'll teach you how to use your powers."

I can feel my head nodding at his statement and the excitement grows inside me. Way back home, in the town of Pisces, I only got the chance to learn about my water powers and how to manage it, but right now, I'll have someone to teach me how to use my other power. Mind manipulation. I think it's kind of cool. I just don't know why it seems cool to me. I bet from other people's perspective, this power is very lame and does not do harm. He gathers his bags and my eyes head straight to the blanket with foods, and it's gone. Frowning, Brent laughs lightly and I'm sure he knows something. I narrow my eyes at him and he just gives me a shrug, as if that's all I need. He grabs a his bag and slings it over his shoulder and starts walking, Coffee trailing beside him.

"Okay, let's start the basic rules." He starts as we walk further. I occasionally look between him and on the road, still checking out if there are any creatures. "In our city, the Taurus clan, the first law is you don't use your power just for the sake of yourself. Of course, our power is mind manipulation. We can control anyone's mind. We can tell them what to do. If you go into our city, the battle their is using your own mind. You can block thoughts, block anyone from entering your mind, from preventing them control you, just by being aware. Back there, what I mentioned is true, that I could make you see me as the most attractive man in the world. But seeing that you're already attracted, then it would be hard for me to do that. Your mind would start to compare the features of mine and his, and by that, your mind is aware.

"Every people in our city is always aware of their surroundings, so I want you to do the same. Our power does not do harm but it can harm a person you're controlling and sometimes, your own self. Controlling other people is forbidden in the Taurus clan. There will be consequences if ever there's a proof that you did control someone. You don't want to know the consequences, I assume. Controlling can harm the person and yourself, it's true. If the person you're controlling has a horrible past, you'd be overwhelm how he felt when he was dealing it, and at the same time, you'd feel the same way. It could scar a person for life. If ever that you need to control someone, there are some parts of the brain that you need to leave alone. You're aware that our brain has parts, right?"

"What do you think I am, a dumb human being?" I say, annoyed that he asked me a nonsense question. Of course I know brain has parts. Everyone knows that with the exception of kids still not going to school. I roll my eyes at him and walk faster. One thing I hate about is when people try to guess if I know this and that. It just irks me. It's like they're wanting to know or make sure that the person they are talking with is not dumb at all. I scurry away from him, walking as fast as I can. Brent seems to get the idea of me leaving him so he runs by my side and hugs me from behind. Heat rushes up to my neck and I puff out my cheeks, pursing my lips.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry," Brent whines, running his nose against the line of my neck, hot breath fanning my cool skin as a shiver runs up and down my spine. Brent hugs me tighter, my back placed gently on his chest. "I'm not going to do this again. Please don't be mad at me." Brent keeps running his nose at the line of my neck and I have to admit, this kind of makes me feel good.

Pushing him a bit and glaring at him over my shoulder, I say, "Alright, just don't ask dumb questions on me again. I'm offended. When you ask questions like that, it makes people think they are dumb when they are not."

Just like a kid, Brent nods his head with his lips in a pout and grins at me, and once again, he gives me a bone-crushing hug. We walk together, Coffee walking in front of us.

"As I was saying earlier," Brent continues, clearing his throat and taking a deep breath. "When you control a person, you have access to his brains. It's like invading a new world, just like what we're doing right now. Anyways, the brain, it's like a maze. You just have to be careful when navigating it. Human mind is very complex, and it changes when a person learns something new. Like for example, you went to a person's head once, and that person learned a new thing, even though how many times you memorized the person's mind, you still have to be careful because everything changed."

"So do you already know how my mind works?" I ask him as we continue to walk. The sky gets darker and darker each time I look above. This world doesn't have seasons. It doesn't rain, there's no sun and moon, no stars. The sky is a color of blood, and the clouds are gray and dark.

"Actually, no." Brent answers immediately as he kicks a rock with his foot and it flies towards the side of the road. "Like I've mentioned, human mind is very complex. You're learning new things from me, and every time I say a fact or a thing that amazes you, your brain and mind structures will change. I don't want to risk it."

"What would happen if..."

"If you're accessing the human brain and they become aware? There's a chance that you'd be crazy, no shits. If they ever found out that you're controlling them, they can change every structure of their brain anytime and you will get lost. When dealing in that situation, just try to be calm and get out of their head. Of course, be careful. We can manipulate the exit." Brent says seriously. "We'll start slow, Dy. You have to learn this power of yours as soon as possible since it's the best weapon you have. I'll teach you, just don't control me in the future." He says in a joking manner and laughs. I shake my head, smile tugging on my lips. Brent is not bad at all, really. He seems really cool and awesome and looks like he really wants me to learn my power.

"Let's go find them," I say to him and he nods, knowing who I'm talking about. "And while we're finding them, teach me how to control my power."

"Aye, aye, captain!" Brent salutes me and stands straight and I burst out laughing. Brent gives me a satisfied grin, takes my hand, which makes me blush, and we walk together.

******

Oh! I'm starting to love Brentley! Ohmyfreakinggosh, how about Shawn? Where the eff is Shawn? Has anyone seen Shawn? Jelai! Where are they?

If you want to email me, you can send a message or thoughts or comments at johnmichaelsenar@gmail.com. Thank you!