Chapter 4

Photo: Dylan Maxon Allen
Portrayed By: Ryan Allan
Chapter Dedicated To: TheStoryHunter

******

Chapter 4

People keep cheering me, shouting my name as I raise my hand in the air and that's when the fountains come on, soaring high in the sky as we all watch it. There are drinks and party has been going on since I was announced as the Chosen One. This day can't get any better.

At exactly 6 of the evening, I will be travelling the Journey by myself, as part of the tradition. That's when the moon is going to shine bright. Everybody believes that the moon is somehow relatives with the sea. When the moon is at its brightest, the sea is at its calmness and softness. The tranquility of both sea and the moon has an effect to all of us. Well, a little to me.

There are dancing and singing. I get down out of the stage and grab Mom's hands and we both dance as people start to watch us do our celebration. Mom laughs loudly and for the first time, I see she's at her happiest form. It makes me smile widely, and I know for a fact that when I start to travel, I'm going to need my mother's smile in my head in order for me to not break and have courage. I have a promise to her, as well to my friends, and I'm not going to break it. Mom and I just keep dancing, ignoring the people's stare at us. It feels like the old times, where Dad was still here with us, making funny jokes, dancing ridiculously, singing in a very awful voice. My Mom is basically glowing. No, she really is glowing. Just like what Dad told me before when he was still here. He said to me that Mom tends to glow bright when she's really happy and sincere. I know that she still loves Dad, that she misses Dad, that she longs for Dad's hugs and kisses and love. We still have a hope to our hearts that Dad is alive and well. We told ourselves once that he was just stuck somewhere and needed help.

Our traditional dance consists of being with another partner. And Mom is taken by a neighbor and I let him take my Mom, and the next person I have is no other than my very best friend Penelope Fisher. She takes my hands and we spin as we laugh along with the others. She grins at me as I spin her and basically throw her to Daniel Coal. She gives me a death glare and I smile widely at her. The next thing I know, I'm being paired with Lisa Bufea, a girl with a blonde hair and has the best green eyes ever. She's wearing a light, see-through bodice, dress, matching her petite figure. Compared to my height, she's like a dwarf but we still dance. I know that she has a huge crush on me, I can feel, I just don't know how I know it. She blushes when I give her a smirk. I'm not a playboy, but I'm still a guy. I tend to mess around when my brain wants to. I go with the flow. And nope, I'm still a virgin. I haven't lost my v-card yet just because I want to fool around. Dad would be disappointed at me and I don't want it to happen. Dead or not, I'm going to do what Dad told me. I'm only going to lose my virginity to the person I will love the most.

The celebration doesn't last for long. And the tick of the clock strikes at exactly 6, the cheering and shouting and singing, the celebration, stop. They all look at me with proud eyes and they bow. I bow back.

Every steps I take towards the road that I'm going to travel, it feels heavy, like there's something big and heavy that is clinging on my legs. My heart picks up a speed and my surrounding becomes a blur as I set my gaze on the road. The large gate opens and there are guards, in their finest armour clothes, that salute me as I walk forward. Two hands have been placed on my shoulders and I know it belongs to my Mom's. She has this comfort that radiates around her, and it affects me. She hands me my bag and a tear slips down her left cheek. Without speaking, I give her a bone-crushing hug because I will miss her a lot. As I hug my Mom, I look into those familiar faces - my friends, my neighbors, my schoolmates, the people of Pisces - and they give me a salute. I salute back. Mom pulls away, wipes her stained-tears cheeks, and sniffs and then gives me a proud and motherly smile. Mom takes a step backwards and I stare at them, they all speak.

"May the God guide you as you travel, Dylan Maxon Allen."

"Wish me luck," I say to them and turn on my heels and start to walk away. There's a pang of hurt explodes in my chest and I hate to leave my Mom but I need to do this. With one last look, I give them a wave and a flying kiss and they all cheer at me. Then the door closes. And them I'm on my own.

The air becomes chilly. Even though I'm used to the cool air inside the Pisces grounds, the air on the outside of the grounds is chilly as hell and I feel lonely. But I force myself to head on. I begin to pull down my sleeves because of the cold breeze of the air. This is a whole new different world I'm trying to explore, but it's going to be so worth it. I wish I had brought the jacket that my Mom has made a couple of years ago.

Aligning my backpack on my back, I move forward without stopping. I can hear, becoming a blur at the background, that they have continued celebrating and my thought drifts to my Mom. What is she doing right now? Is she crying? Are my friends comforting her right now? Then it's followed by, is this how Dad felt when he was taking the Journey? Is this how my grandfather felt when he was travelling through the Journey?

I keep walking while trying to avoid the sad emotions that are trying to come out of me and it's not the best since, probably, I'm in a dangerous place and I need to prepare myself physically, mentally, and emotionally. I need to be brave and strong so I would be able to come back here, in my hometown, alive and well.

I'm a strong-willed, high-spirited person. My Mom raised me to be a better person. Dad raised me to be a better warrior and I'll do this to find answers. With a set determination, my steps fasten and in seconds, I'm already running towards the endless road of the Journey. I lose track of how many seconds, minutes, or even hours I'm running. Even though my legs are tired and numb, I just keep going on. The blood is rushing through my veins and the adrenaline hasn't died, in fact, it makes me want to push more, so I just keep running. Sweat is trickling across my forehead, beads of it keep running across my cheek until it stops underneath my chin and falls off the ground.

Then, everything has changed. I stop dead in my tracks and my world becomes different, as if I've stepped into a magical world. The dark sky has been replaced with an even darker sky. There are no stars, there is no moon. Nothing. When I look back, I can't see the path that I've taken. Everything is pitched-black here. There's a sound, though. A barely beep sound can be heard at a far distance and it's hard to track it down where the sound is coming from because I can't see anything. But then the beep becomes stronger and stronger as I near and then I see a blink of a light. Then it comes off, and then turns on again. A light has been flashing with a beep sound and I walk further. The light becomes bigger and bigger until I've come face to face with a giant machine that seems, kind of, suspicious to me. I look to my left and right, do a 360 degree scan around me, but there's nothing. As if sensing my presence, the glass door opens and I narrow my eyes at it. Without thinking, I take a step inside, and when I'm inside, the glass door closes, trapping me inside the round machine and it feels like I'm being suffocated. I try to break the glass, but it's thick and it seems like it's made of something strong, and there's no water around me. And apparently, my combat skill is basically useless right now since I can't break the glass.

My whole body falls to the floor. My body is tired from running and I just want to sleep well. And then the machine begins to vibrate, and it keeps me alert until it feels like there's a earthquake going on. I try to balance myself by stretching my arms and putting them on either side of the round machine. And then the machine, like a pill, has been swallowed by the ground and I let out a scream as it falls deep into the ground very fast.

And then everything becomes a blur, then I fall asleep.

******

What do you think will happen on the next chapter? And on the next chapter, our Dylan will have a company throughout the Journey! Who do you think it is? Or what do you think it is? Share your thoughts by commenting it!