Chapter 44

When the siren goes off, my heart stops. Everyone is looking for me. This is the most stupid decision I have ever made in my life. Plus, I have dragged Brent with me into this mess and now he has to deal with this, too. He could just easily turn his back on me and tell everyone that it's all my fault but when I take a look at my side, Brent has a determined expression plastered on his face and never once he speaks about blaming me. We just keep running and running until two guards appear in our front, trying to stop us.

The guard is about to cast a magic on us when the other guard punches him in his face. Taking a look at Brent, he has this hard expression on his face and his fingers are moving a bit, indicating that he's controlling the other guard to fight the other. I nod at Brent when he takes a look at me and I run, jumping when Brent decides to take back the consciousness of the man and when the guard is now aware of his world, my foot lands on his face, knocking him out.

"That's my man," Brent chuckles and I roll my eyes at him. We are in a very bad situation right now and yet he still manages to make a joke about this. But then again, this is Brent being Brent. He is all fun and doesn't really take things seriously. He's just carefree as I was before. "Now where to go?"

I take a look at road in front of me and the other roads, left and right, and I can't decide which to pick. So Brent just takes my hand and chooses whichever road, not really caring where we would end up. Brent chooses to right path and we keep running, my legs aching as the siren is still going off. By now, all of the people living here in the Zodiac City are wide awake, probably wondering what the hell is going on and sooner or later, my Dad would know that I was the one who caused the commotion and he would hear from everyone that I'm now a vigilante, that includes Brent. Three more guards appear in front of us and I slide down when the guard in front of me swings his fist. I kick his legs and he groans, slipping and knocking his back on the ground. The other guard wraps his arms around me in an attempt to stop me but I elbow and he lets out a painful groan. I let my fist fly into his cheek and he goes down. We're now making a big commotion in this area. In an attempt to run, three more guards hug me, trying to stop me from running and I can't fight them.

There is no water around here and I can't just fight them off with my fist. My combat skill is still the same but that cannot be applied right now, considering the three guards hands are all over me, preventing me from doing something stupid. When I take a look at Brent, he's lying unconsciously on the ground and the guard is trying to scoop him up. My eyes widen at the sight as there's a blood trickling down Brent's forehead. The guard behind me pushes me so I'm forced to work. I try calling Brent's name but to no avail, he doesn't respond. Now we're both dead. We're such in a heavy mess right now and I'd get an earful from my Dad. Plus, there's a chance that Penthra would have us both killed since I now know their dirty little secret. I scoff at the guards who keep looking at me like I'm the best criminal in the world. I wonder if they really know the leader of the Zodiac City. She has been doing dirty deeds behind everyone's back. One guard ties my hands behind my back in a double knot.

The guards lead us into a house and two more guards appear. They are all dressed in the same outfit; a dark brown long sleeve shirt, brown pants and a black shoes. Nothing more interesting. I look at the guards in disgust and roll my eyes at them, to make them feel I really hate them so much. The guards just scoff at me and one of the guards try to give me the bird until the other stops him. As they are about to go away, one of the guards take out a bat and hits one guard in the head, knocking him out and I flinch. The guard, who took out his bat and hit the guard in the head, lands a punch on the other guards. He then lifts his hand and throws things on the guards, knocking them out completely. Once done, the guard turns on his heel and gives a smile that really creeps me out. He tips his hat off and suddenly, everything about him is changing. From his shoes up to his face, revealing no other than Cooper Kurt Hopkins from a place called Libra, who gives me a smirk once he sees my mortified face.

"Geez, I know I'm awesome," Cooper says as he cuts the knot tied around my hands behind my back and gives me another smirk. "I don't know what category I should put you, the dumber category or the dumbest, either way, you're dumb. I should let Beige decide. In fact, this is his plan all along. I don't know how he predicted this but ah, he's super smart."

Once the knot has been cut off, I run over to the lying figure of Brent and when I shake him, he lets out a painful groan and I flinch. The hit on his head must have been painful, considering it bled and all. I look at Cooper and jerk my chin at Brent, asking for a bit of a help since Brent is really big and he'd definitely crush me with his big frame. Cooper rolls his eyes at me and I just give him a biggest smile I could give, and he caves in.

"Fine, fine," he says playfully, waving his hand in the air. "I'll help you. C'mon, Beige is waiting for us outside. The siren hasn't still come off and everyone is looking for you and Brent right now. Just want to let you know that we're here and we'll help you. Shit, Brent is really heavy as hell."

"How did Beige know that we are in trouble?" I ask Cooper. We both lift the grunting and half unconscious Brent and we both struggle to lift him up. I wrap my arm over Brent's waist and put his other arm around my neck. Cooper does the same. "I mean, the siren just blew off. He couldn't have predicted that it was because of us, could have he?"

Cooper peaks his head outside, checking to see if there are guards scurrying outside but found no one. Cooper shakes his head in an answer. "No, he didn't. But he saw you guys running and knew suddenly that you were in trouble. I just happened to be with him. We were just outside, roaming around though there's a curfew but we're boys, we'd love to get in trouble. Though not as bad as this situation right now."

"Wow," I say in amazement. To think that they're willing to get in trouble with us is a proof that they are a true friends of mine. Another question suddenly pops up into my head. "Hey, wait, how did you do it? I mean, one minute, you were a guard, and then suddenly, it's you!"

He chuckles, shaking his head at my amusement. "Okay, I didn't exactly tell you my power. Remember what Beige said back when we introduced ourselves to each other? Well, he was right. I can copy someone's power and also I could really see the DNA, you know, making me able to change my appearance by copying their DNA. Now you're probably wondering how we, I can practically see it in your head, Libras, fight. Well, we fight in combat or fooling everyone, especially if the mode of the fight is a team mode. That made me aware of everything, you know. If someone can copy you and your image in an instant, then you're dead. Unless you really know that person. You know what I'm getting at? We, Libras, can copy appearance and powers but not mannerisms and such. So if ever we copy someone, and that person you're trying to fool is really observant, one mistake and your enemy would know. The bottom line here is, the guards are fools and dumb enough I wonder how they got hired in the first place."

When we get out of the house, we immediately go inside of one of the abandoned houses and find Beige, sitting his ass out. He adjusts his glasses just like how nerd he is and stares at us, arching a brow. His look to us is almost judging and I stop myself from making a face, considering that's an immature thing to do. Beige deals with matures and persons who think rationally. But still, he's dumb enough to help us with this.

"Probably you're thinking why I helped you," Beige stands up and clasps his hands, voice in a low tone to prevent us getting attraction from the people who want us dead. "For one, you are a friend. Secondly, I hate this town. That, my friends, is a rational thought and that's why I made a decision in a logical manner."

******

Beige Henderson