Chapter 16

Photo: Dylan Maxon Allen
Portrayed By: Ryan Allan
Chapter Dedicated To: fronno

******

Chapter 16

Brent and I are having a snack. It's our usual routine before we sleep together side by side. Coffee is our guard, as always. He's pretty much Browdie but Coffee is more alert than Browdie whereas Browdie is more, I think, powerful than Coffee. Brent is munching happily on his fried chicken (God, I don't have any idea how he gets to cook chickens!) when the ground shakes a little, alerting all of us. He and I share a look, and it tells us that sooner or later, we will be dealing with trouble. Both he and I eat faster, stand up and look into our left and right. He wipes out his lips with his finger and my eyes flicker at the simple gesture and I purse my lips and avert my eyes from the view.

"I think we should move - " Brent says but stops as soon as the ground shakes again and I clutch his arm for support, to balance myself. Coffee begins to snarl and bark, indicating that they are already here.

The ground starts to crack, releasing hot air that could probably burn our skin. We take a step back, gather our things, and start to run. But the more we run, the faster the ground releases this steamy, full of gas air. I cough, waving a hand in front of my nose just to avoid inhaling the bad scent. Brent takes my hand and tugs me closer to him, leading the way.

As we approach the big and creepy tree, the ground cracks open, releasing a super steamy air, and my free hand happens to be where the steam is, burning my hand and I yelp out in pain. Brent looks at me with worried eyes and when his eyes land on mine burned arm, his eyes widen and he stops abruptly, but I push him, telling him to keep running since we're about to die. I ignore the pain in my arm, but the pain grows as I try to move it. It looks like it has hit the very flesh of my arm and a tear escapes in my left eye. Surrounding us, the ground keeps releasing those steamy air and what we only do is run since this is the best option we have here. Ever since we got inside this world, most of the days we spent here is about running.

Then at the end of the road, there's a house in the middle. Brent keeps a tight grip on my arm, still leading the way and not wanting to let me go. Coffee is still in shape and he has this determined expression drawn on his face as he runs with us. When we reach the house, Brent busts the door open and we're greeted by a long, dim-lit hallway. In the outside, it looked like this is a regular house but it's completely different inside. We can still hear the ground outside cracking and pouring out air, but we continue to run. Our footsteps echo around the room and that's the only sound can be heard, of course except to our pants and grunts as we continue to run. And then the unexpected thing happens, Coffee must have walked on something because he falls on the ground, whining and that's when the hallway's ground starts to crack and starts to release fire. Both Brent and I's eyes widen at the sight. He looks at me with worried eyes and I let go of his hand, nodding at him. Brent picks up Coffee, carries him like a baby, and we start to run again.

Behind us, the ground starts exploding and the fire crackles. We keep running and running until the exploding is far away from us since it takes about half a minute before the ground explodes again. I pant, breathless from the running and all I want to do is to rest and have a drink of a cold water. Brent hugs Coffee tight, in his eyes, there's a fear swarming. He must really love his pet and that makes me smile despite the situation we are in.

We hear another sets of footstep and Brent and I look at each other and my heart sparks a hope, my brain flashing the images of frowning Shawn and smiling Jelai, and as well as Browdie. My hand still aches in pain, but I try my best to ignore it. I'll have it remedied later after we're done dealing with this shit. Humans start to come into view, and the first person I see belongs to the first guy I met here; Shawn. He's walking with confidence and power is radiating around him. But he's with other... people. I see Jelai talking happily to this guy with jet black hair and the guy with light ash blonde hair laughs with Jelai. From the afar distance behind us, I can still hear the ground exploding and my instinct is to shout at them to run. So I do.