Chapter 43

We should avoid Penthra. I know that. She gives us the creeps. But despite that fact, I know that I should get closer to her. Being close to her will lead me to finding the truths and facts. I have a feeling that we're in a dangerous situation right now.

The zodiacs are divided. Why? There should be an answer to that and I intend to find out that. I feel suddenly claustrophobic. It feels like my room is getting smaller and smaller and I can't breath. Despite the window of my room being open, despite the air getting inside the room, it's like the air has just been stuck inside my lungs.

Sneaking slowly, I open the door of my room, peaking my head outside just to check if there's someone roaming. I'm pretty sure Penthra has her eyes on me. I would be her main focus. She knows that I know something fishy. Penthra maybe a Goddess in their eyes, but in my eyes, she's just a pathetic monster who hides something awful. She's hiding something from us. Perhaps it could be the truth, the truth that will set us all free.

As soon as my eyes adjust to the dim-lit hallway, and no one is wandering throughout the hallway, I get out of my claustrophobic room and walk across the hallway barefooted. Cautiously, I peak my eyes to the left hallway, checking if someone decides to get out and roam but I find nothing. Sighing, I turn left to the next short hallway and decide I should get outside. As soon as I get outside, the strong gush of the wind blows past me, making me shiver in coldness. I wrap my arms around myself, trying to get myself warm. Barefooted, I walk outside and see the place empty and eerily quiet.

I walk until my feet ache from walking. Looking back, I see that I'm already far away from the rooms where we rest. I can't believe I have walked from there to here barefooted. My father would kill me if he knows that I'm casually walking outside barefooted. My father hates whenever I walk without slippers or shoes on. He once used to say to me that if I walked outside barefooted, the germs would invade my feet and I'd never be able to walk again. I had believed that so much when I was a kid and I find it funny today. That memory brings out the happiness in me.

"Hey," a voice suddenly pops out of nowhere and I jump out, shrieking and eyes widening as I look at the culprit. Brent raises up his arms in surrender, concealing a laugh as he looks at my horrified expression. I give him a scowl and punch him on his chest but not hard enough to cause him harm. He finally bursts out laughing and I roll my eyes at him. "You looked like you have seen a ghost."

"And that ghost, who is so ugly and smelly, happened to be you." I drawl, crossing my arms across my chest and glaring daggers at him. Sooner or later, or in any minute now, my annoyance will fade. That's just the way I am.

"What are you doing here alone?" He asks, grinning widely. "I used a bit of my magic to escape. They can't deal with the awesomeness of Brently Fritz Matthews."

"Nothing," I say, wrapping my arms around me again, wanting to feel warm. "I just escaped out of my room. I suddenly felt claustrophobic, you know? I couldn't breath and I had to get out. This place gives me the creeps, Brent. Seriously, I think there is something wrong going on here. Do you have those feelings where you're just staring at a normal world, but they feel supernatural? You know that feeling? I keep feeling it. Somehow, somewhat, I know the leader of the Zodiac City is hiding something. I don't know what it is but I will find out."

"Well, count me in," he says nonchalantly, finding this amusing at all. I scowl at him in reply, rolling my eyes at his childishness. Can't he see that I'm being serious here? "I used to dream of becoming a spy, but nah, when I grew up, I realized I'm too awesome for that."

"I am serious, Brent."

"No seriously, count me in, I'm being serious as well."

"Ugh, you annoy me sometimes."

"But you love me,"

"Shut up." I state, beginning to walk again. Brent follows me, trailing behind me as I keep walking. He tries to ask me where I'm going but I never reply. I just keep walking until I feel the ache in my legs again. I'm walking into a deeper part of the city, where the place holds no people at all. Houses after houses, abandoned, and it feels like every house has had histories. "Look at this houses, Brent. They are all ruined. What do you think happened here?"

Brent just shrugs casually, as if that's the best answer he could give me. Believe me, I love Brent and all as a friend, but he can be really annoying sometimes and tonight, he chose to be annoying to me. I sigh, knowing that I'd never really get a straight answer from him. So I just let him follow me while I walk through the isolated area. My eyes scan the area, taking in every detail into my memory, burning them right into my head, wanting this scene to stick inside my head. This would be a great story to tell my mom and the Pisces people. They would want to know my journey. I will come home with Dad beside me.

What about Shawn?

The thought makes me stop in a sudden that Brent's body has collided with mine and he makes an oof sound. I turn around and see Brent scratching his head, his head tilted to the side as he looks at me with curious eyes.

A murmur catches our attention and our heads snap into our right. Their silhouette can be seen on the ground. Their voices are deep, and they are speaking in a whisper, as if they are hiding something. I put an index finger on my lips, telling Brent to be quiet and I sneak slowly, my back hitting the wall of the ruined houses and their voices grow high as I come near them.

"Come on, Penthra is asking us to do something." The guy says. I dare to look at one of the broken windows, and I recognize him as one of the bodyguards of Penthra. He has a bald head, his arms are covered in tattoos up to his neck. He's only wearing a shirt, not the uniform Penthra prefers, I think. "We need to do it or else she'll raise hell on us. We don't want that to happen. She has already killed Lycan. We don't want that to happen to us."

And I think a gasp is enough to make their heads look in my direction. Apparently, they have seen me and Brent mutters a curse under his breath. Brent catches my head and together we run. They are shouting at us to stop. The man has recognized my face and if I get back in my room, they would sure be able to find me there and they would question me, or worst, kill me. Penthra has already killed someone. I knew it. I knew that she's a witch. Brent takes us into one of the ruined houses and we hide inside of what I assume used to be a bathroom.

The guys have come inside the house, throwing curses. From what I've heard, they are not just only two but there are five guys.

"Shit, Penthra would kill us if that boy ever gets to live," the man with the bald hair says as he takes a look at his friends. "We need to have them killed. That boy has heard things he wasn't supposed to hear."

"Stupid you," another man says, his voice growling. "You should have kept your mouth shut. Now we have to deal with him and his boyfriend."

"What?"

"They have heard you, you idiot." He replies. "Both of them need to die."

Brent looks at me with shining eyes and a smile quirks into his lips amusingly. I shake my head slowly, silently telling him that what he's going to do is a fucking suicide. Of course, Brent being Brent doesn't listen to me. He talks in my head. One to three, Dylan. Three and we run. I noticed there's a water outside. Let's run over there and I'd manipulate them, and you can use your water power. Okay?

It is suicidal. But right now, that's the best plan we could create, seeming that there's no way for us to get out here. If we need to fight, we have to fight just to get out of here. One, two, three! 

Both of us get outside of the bathroom and the guys watch us with wide eyes. Brent uses his power to manipulate them but at the same time, throwing things at them using his mind and I run behind him. As soon as we get out, Brent's right, there's a water running outside and even though it's only a little, it's enough to make a deadly weapon. I did not bring the weapon Shawn has given me so I need to depend on my power. I lift the water up and as soon as those guys come out of the door, I turn the water into ice and bolt it right through them. They fall down and Brent and I continue to run again.

The siren goes off, alerting everything that there's a vigilante. And that is us.