Chapter 3

Photo: Daniel Coal
Portrayed By: Tyler Lough
Chapter Dedicated To: avidreader2110

******

Chapter 3

A determined expression is etched on my face as the wind brushes pass me gently. It feels like I'm being carried by the air that makes me want to sleep forever and just feel the warm grazed of the sun. When I open my eyes, I see a whole new different world and it makes me smile knowing that I'll be going into the new world any day this week. I lift both of my arms and laugh as the wind becomes strong, making my hair stick up in every direction. A bird stops by on my arm and sings a little, looking at me with those cute little eyes as he does and it flies away.

Today, I'm at the rooftop again, looking at the road where the Chosen One will start taking the Journey. I can hear the soft melody of the waves of the sea as it surrounds the city of Pisces. Unlike the others, I can only feel a little because of me having a different power and it feels like there's more I need to know and I'm dead sure that the answers will be at the Journey. The sun radiates in its brightest form and makes me hot and sweaty but at the same time, cool and relaxed because of the sea.

Lifting my right arm a bit and opening my palm, the water of the sea goes up until it reaches the flat surface of the rooftop and I turn the water into an ice so I can slide down to the bottom. As soon as I land on the ground, the ice becomes water again and it falls back into the sea.

I'm wearing a light blue long-sleeves polo, the sleeves are tucked in my forearm, matched my polo with a deep blue slack and a black shoes to complete the attire. Today is the day that Megan will announce who will be sent into the Journey. All of my things are ready, packed in one bag. Mostly of them are food, since I don't want to starve myself while travelling into the Journey. If I died because of starvation, it would be a shame that I haven't been able to fulfill my promise to my Mom and to my so called best friends to come back home. But I know, when I go into the Journey, that I would have to do some hunting or find food to feed myself.

I raise my chin up high and walk with full of confidence to the Central City, where the announcement will be held. Everybody who's everybody will be there to see who will be sent, and I'm already claiming the spot. Mom has been such a pain in the bum, telling me to reconsider my decision about going to the Journey. She's somehow being a little Devil, telling me that out there is dangerous and not safe. But I just brushed her off with a wave of a hand. I told her that I would be just fine and that there's no need of her to worry about my being since I can handle myself. I know that there would be a lot of things out there, but I'm at least half prepared. Beasts, monsters, or any cruel things, I can fight them. I was born a fighter, at least that's what father told me before he went into the Journey and left us. The only thing I need to do is to prove my father's statement and I'm going to do it by following his and grandfather's footsteps. And there's a high chance that they're alive since my father and grandfather are brave and strong and powerful. I just need to find them. From what I've read on the books, no one really ever knows what's at the end of the Journey but on the last volume of the Book of Pisces, there's a magical thing out there; something that is kind of shocking.

Answers. Real me. Father and grandfather. I have come into terms with myself that I'll do my very best on finding out the truth. It may not be the greatest truths ever, but at least I get the chance to know. Another thing that is bugging me is, on the Books of Pisces, it doesn't state exactly state that we're the only ones living on this planet and neither has mentioned that there are other people out there somewhere. Pisces may or may not be the only city in this world.

A crowd has already been formed around the Central City, everyone is dressed as fancy as they can. The sun is shining brightly, matching the crowd's excitement and cheers as I gaze into the the Pisces symbol, a huge hologram, on the stage. Excitement rushes through my veins, making my heart pump with anticipation as I begin to walk again, and the walk turns into a jog, and a job turns into a sprint until I reach the front, breathless from running. My eyes look at the clock and just 2 minutes away from 3 of the afternoon, then Megan will walk across the stage. My eyes search for the crowd, hoping to see the faces I'd love to look at and within seconds of searching, I find them watching. Mom, Penelope Fisher and my other friends, Daniel Coal, and probably, the whole students of the Academy are here since it's mandatory. With each ticking of the clock that is synching with my heartbeat, I can feel myself getting excited more and more. And then the time comes.

Megan, dressed in an elegant blue sparkling gown, enchants the crowd with a small wave and a beautiful smile that people adore. Her hair is in a loose, adding to her Goddess-like beauty. The crowd cheers and whoops at her and she laughs lightly until she raises her hand in the air and the crowd goes silent. She watches the crowd with her eyes so blue that it matches the color of the sea when in its lightest form. She raises her chin up and speaks.

"Welcome to the annual Choosing Day," she begins, her voice is covered with sweetness and calmness. She really is a great leader. "Today, another Chosen One will travel through the road of the Journey as it's done every year. We wish, whoever will be, the Chosen One, with our pure hearts, a luck to find the magical world that our ancestors told us. We wish, some day when the time's right, that these Chosen Ones will bring us into the new world where there's no war and loneliness.

"There are at least 54 participants. 15 women and 39 men. These people are brave enough to at least have a courage to sign up for the Journey. Let's give them a round of applause," the crowd begins to clap and cheer and shout, including my Mom. She sees me looking at her and mouths 'find you father for me and come back' and I smile at her, nodding. "One of these participants will be the Chosen One, and after the prayer, we will pick the person who has the highest ranking. It will be based on the person's performance, grades, power, and what has been done for the community. And of course, there will be a voting as part of the tradition. Now, let's close our eyes and feel the spirit of the God of the Water and let's chant the prayer." We all shut our eyes and chant the prayer; a very old prayer that is about the spirits of the sea and the God himself, asking for guidance. When we're done chanting the prayer, everybody opens their eyes and cheers again.

"Okay, people of Pisces, let the Choosing begin!" Megan shouts as she raises her fists up in the air and the crowd goes wild, clapping their hands madly and shouting their bets and votes. "Now, let's take a look at the performances of our participants." Another hologram appears, and the 54 candidates', including me, picture pop up with our names beneath it. And every picture shows a statistic of our performances and I grin to myself knowing that I have the highest performance in school. Mom shouts and my heart swells with pride, her calling me her son is the best thing ever. And then another hologram appears, this time, skills statistic, and I'm only in the second, Dawn Northam being the first one. And then the combat statistics, and I'm the highest, which I'm very proud of. No one can beat my combat skills, except my father. And the grades, and not to brag, I have the highest grade when it comes to academics. Then what we have done for the community shows, with a detailed information. What I've done was - am doing is, I teach a combat lessons without asking a return or something, because I always believe that we cannot always depend on our powers; that we can also rely to our physical strength. And then the votings begin. All the participants stand proud and tall, looking in front with an expressionless face. I try to do the same, but somehow, I can't. I don't to mask my expression because I want the people to see my emotions, just like the sea. Waiting for at least 15 minutes is such a pain in the bum so I stand there, legs getting numbed and tired because of standing. Then the decision is made. Megan walks in front of the stage again and another hologram appears beside her, a big one.

"Everything has been decided," Megan says as she looks straight into the crowd, watching every face of the people. "Let's take a look at the rankings and the highest one shall be the Chosen One. And whoever that is, we will proudly announce to all of you and we will be cheering." Then one by one, our pictures start to appear and I'm in the 3rd row. My heart beats faster and faster and faster and it feels like my world is spinning and my hands are getting clammy and that's it, my heart stops suddenly. "Garnering a percentage of 87%, let this man be known as already one of the Chosen Ones, we present to you, the child of Daryl Chros Allen, who had been sent into the Journey a decade ago, his son, Dylan Maxon Allen!"

And that's when I put myself on the stage with the biggest smile I can ever wear. Mom is looking at me with proud eyes and my friends are whooping and getting crazy. My eyes go straight pass the borders and look at the road with a thought in mind 'I can do this'.

******

Now that Dylan has been chosen as the Chosen One who will travel the journey, what are your thoughts on this chapter? And do you have an idea how he would meet his 'The One'? Share your thoughts to me by commenting it! The best answer will have the dedication on the next chapter and a huge shoutout! Thank you for reading #TheChosenOne