Chapter 54

Chapter 54

We have reached the place wherein the ruined bridges are visible; the red paint on the metals beginning to peel off. My mind visualizes the scenery; I can almost see how beautiful it looked before: Cars passing by, honking their cars, trying to survive the traffic. But now the bridge has been sinking in the bloody, lifeless desert. Particles sting my eyes that it makes me blink and tears well up in my eyes, but I use my palm to brush it off. The place is eerily quiet the wind is almost screaming in my ears.

Beige kneels down, grabbing a handful of desert and letting it fall, the wind picking it up and the particles fly further. So far, monsters have not appeared yet. I'm almost itching to use the weapon that Shawn has given me to protect myself. The bracelet clings into my wrist, glistening as a light shines up on it. I touch my the bracelet with my index and thumb fingers, fixing it around my wrist as my eyes scan the area. What once was used to be beautiful, now became a rubble and lifeless. Beige stands up and narrows his eyes at a far distance, trying to look into something.

Silence greets us as Beige continues to gaze up. At first, they're just a tiny dots, looking blurry as they come near us. Then they begin to have figures: long skinny arms, veins almost popping up. Their eyes are a color of dark red and they seem angry. For a moment, they just look like a couple of weirdos coming after us, but as they near, they become double. My father slides out the dagger the sheath on his belt, throwing the dagger upwards and catching it midair. A grin is making its way to his lips viciously, as if he's almost to let the enemies blood to pour on the lifeless desert. Clutching the bracelet slash weapon Shawn has given to me, my heart becomes to pound inside my chest as they stare only at me.

Shawn scoffs, mocking the enemies running towards our direction with much hatred evident in their red eyes. He lifts his hand in the air, and a big, made of steel sword suddenly appears in Shawn's hand. Its metal is so shiny, as if like a mirror. The edges are sharpened, very deadly. He smirks when he sees my expression in awe and I roll my eyes at him. Brent clasps his hands, warming up as he stares at the enemies with eyes glistening mischievously. I pull out the daggers that I have grabbed back in the cave, throwing one to Brent and Beige. They catch it with a thankful smile.

Damen pulls out two daggers from God knows where and he seems prepared more than us. As the enemies run towards our direction, I yell, telling them to surge and everybody gladly does. Beige is the first one to move forward and comes face to face with the enemy, his dagger sinking into the chest of the creature and blood pours out. The creature cries in pain, trying to claw and damage Beige but Beige rolls over, pulling out the dagger out of the creature's chest with swift. My bracelet turns into a spear and I wield it around then stop, deciding to smack the creature in the face with the end of the spear. The creature steps back, releasing a cry of agony. He begins to lurch forward on me again, this time, with much haste and I barely have time to register or calculate his movements; his claws reach my shoulder and I hiss in pain, taking a step back as I use the spear to stab the enemy in his chest, where his heart is probably located.

From the corner of my eyes, Damen and my father are fighting back to back, slashing their daggers to the enemies throat. Brent is using his charm power, making them stop for a bit as he uses his sweet-talk power and suddenly swishing the dagger I gave to him to the enemies throat. Browdie and Coffee are ripping the enemies throats, tearing enemies body; their furs are already covered in blood and I suddenly want to vomit. I run towards Brent as I see that one enemy recovers from Brent's sweet-talk and I throw the speak. The tip of the spear sinks into the enemy's forehead and the creature falls on the ground, knees first and then his body. Brent mutters a thanks and begins to attack enemies again.

"They are too many," I yell over the fighting. Dad seems to agree with my statement but doesn't have time to reply as enemies lunge at him. Shawn keeps slashing his sword back and forth, blood spurting everywhere, tainting the desert with the enemies blood. I cringe. "We need to run!"