Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Brent has never left my side ever since I cried really hard. That was the first time, since when I was a kid, I cried again and it's because of Shawn. I mean, the wounds are still fresh and all, so I would have to deal with this. I don't have any idea when I'm going to be okay. If I'm going to be okay. I gave up Shawn. Was that a wrong move? Had I made a wrong decision in my life? Shawn said that he thought he was still in love with his boyfriend Matthew, then how come he hasn't broken up with him yet? Does he have a plan to break things with them? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this is my way of telling myself that there would be still an us. Maybe I'm just dreaming. But I'm not. I've already told myself that a couple of times, many times, but still, I keep saying, wishing that this is all a dream.

If I were to have a wish, I wouldn't wish that I hadn't met Shawn, because that would suck. What I would wish instead is to have me in his arms, without no one else. Just us. Is that too much to ask? This is the first time I loved, and it's epic. It's an epic love story we have.

"What are you thinking?" Brent asks me, breaking me in my own thoughts and I look at him with my brown eyes. I don't have the energy to say words but I already know that Brent knows what I'm thinking through my eyes. No need to use his power. "It sucks. I thought Shawn was really great, you know? I thought that he was really, really into you. How come I did not use my mind power to see what's going on in the brain of his?"

"I'm glad you didn't," I say to him, smiling even just a bit. It's true. I'm glad that Brent did not use his mind power to see what's going on in Shawn's mind. Invading someone's very own privacy is ugly and not good. "And I'm glad I found out on my own. But thanks, Brent. You're really a good guy."

"Sometimes, I have this thought, what if you chose me instead of him?" He asks me with so much emotion I have to look away. I don't reciprocate his feelings for me and I never want to hurt him. I don't know if I ever will love again. But that's too much. I probably will, someday though. "What if you had feelings for me instead of him? What would be us look like? Honestly, I can picture myself with you. Us running around. Us doing couple-y things, you know, like kissing, hugging, snuggling, spooning, fighting, laughing, enjoying each other's comfort. Even though it's not real, I enjoy thinking those dreams."

Every word he says makes my heart beat loud. A smile graces my lips and suddenly, I'm no longer thinking of Shawn. Maybe it's because of Brent's confession to me. Am I just using him as a rebound? The answer is I'm not. I'm not using him as for my own sake. I look at him to see if he's kidding or not and when I look at him, I catch a glimpse of what he's thinking right now. The moments he's picture keep running in his head, us laughing, doing couple-y things, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I love what I see. I look like I'm really enjoying myself with him. Surprisingly, I can sense that Brent is telling the truth and that makes me happy.

Even though it's not real, I enjoy thinking those dreams, He said. Those words keep replaying in my hand and I shut my eyes tight, imagining if I did choose Brent over Shawn. What would it feel like?

"What are you thinking?" He asks in me in a whisper and I open my eyes again only to find out that he has this hopeful look plastered on his face. A small smile plays on my lips. He's not using his power to see what I'm imagining.

Before I reply, I shut my eyes again for a couple of seconds and I sense him stand up. He probably thinks that I'm not going to answer him, so I open my mouth and tell him what I'm thinking. "I'm thinking of your dreams. What would be us look like. It's good. It's perfect." I feel him stop walking dead in his tracks and when I open my eyes, he's looking at me with his eyes full of emotions. Then he starts to walk away with a smile tugging on his beautiful lips. I never really noticed how cute he was, until now. Now that I have a chance to admire him, he really has a long legs and his back looks like it's hard and all. I wonder what would it feel like to run my hands across his strong back?

Sighing, I stand up and brush the dust off of my butt and head over to my father, who is busy talking with the woman in blue I just met yesterday. I found out that her name is Kiera and I hear rumors that she actually likes my father. There's no way in hell that I'm going to let that girl steal my father from my mom.

Dad sees me approaching and dismisses Kiera and Kiera immediately frowns, but when she sees me, she immediately gives me a smile and waves at me. I wave back out of respect. It would be rude of me to ignore her acknowledgement of me. Dad pats my back and asks me what's up. Really.

"Nothing," I reply as innocent as I can. I'm not ready to have the love talk with my Dad, considering he's been away half of my life, but that's really not the reason. What if he doesn't like a son that is interested with a man. "Not at all."

He rolls his eyes at me. "You do know I'm your father, right? And I know if you're lying or not. Come on, spill. I can be a good father right now. I haven't been a father to you for so many years and I just like to, you know." I nod at him and sigh, hanging my head low.

I run my hands across my face in frustration and speak. "Love happened." I say simply and he understands immediately. He opens his mouth and nods. He has this weird expression plastered on his face and I narrow my eyes at him, rolling my eyes.

"What?" He says innocently, chuckling. "I mean, I can't help you with that. I never got turned down. Considering I have this beautiful look that makes the girl swoon. You have my looks as well, though. So if you want an advise, time will heal you."

"And I demand it right now. Like, 2 more minutes." I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes and wanting to flip him off but force myself not to do it. My Dad laughs lightly and shakes his head. "Love is weird. Sometimes, it can be hurtful. Sometimes, it makes you want to fly up high into the clouds and never land again."

"But remember, love is always in between. You just need to balance it." My father says seriously and the sudden mood of his makes me arch my brow at him. Then he gives me a full smile and pats my back. "Love will sometimes break you, but love is the only way to get yourself healed. Not really time."

With that, my father walks away, leaving me dumbfound and his words keep replaying inside my head. My thoughts drift to Shawn and Brent. I love Shawn, but I don't deserve him now. I deserve someone who really appreciates me. And somehow, Shawn is not that guy. Yet. Yet?

I remember Shawn's smiles at me and my heart clenches again at the image inside my head. His smile is still buried inside my head, carved into my heart and that will always haunt me. I squeeze my eyes shut, hoping the image to go away but at the same time, I don't want to. Shawn's smile is the best. Shawn's smile can light up the whole world, it's just that he's in the dark side. I'm willing to forgive him, but I'm not going to forget what he did. What he did to his boyfriend.

I feel a presence behind me and when I look down, I see Browdie looking at me with his yellow eyes. He looks sad. I pout at him and kneel down, and he immediately lunges himself at me and licks my face.

"I'm surprised you still remember me," I whisper to him, massaging his scalp and muzzle and planting a kiss on his forehead. He whines and buries his face in my chest and I chuckle. "I love you, too, buddy. Come on, let's go. We have a lot of catching up to do."