Chapter 6

Photo: Dylan Maxon Allen
Portrayed By: Ryan Allan
Chapter Dedicated To: andnov10

******

Chapter 6

"Brownie, come on." I say to my newly found friend here in this world. It has been hours since the attack of the creatures on me and so far, no one has attacked us yet. I went back to the place where I lost my bag and sure enough, it was still there. Since the attack, I'm always on alert mode, always prepared. The spear made of ice that I created is still in my hand, gripping it. Brownie saved my life from getting ripped by those horse slash bull creatures.

The wolf, Brownie, is basically stuck with me. Occasionally, he will put his head on my hand, asking me to pet him. I've also given him some foods, biscuits, so he wouldn't feel hungry. If he did get hungry, he might think I'm a food and that's what I'm trying to avoid. To be eaten by my newly found friend wolf, Brownie.

We have been walking for hours now and I still can't see any source of water. Everything here is dried and dark. So it's not a surprise for me to not see any source of water here. My throat is aching from dryness and it feels like I'm going to die in any minute. Brownie gives me a curious look again and we stare at each other, then he looks in front and starts to move again, much faster this time.

"Brownie, where are you going?" I sigh as I force myself to move forward. My knees are wobbling and numb, and I'm about to give up. Sweat is trickling furiously on my cheeks, neck, and the polo is clinging onto my body. Everything is hot also. "Buddy, please wait for me."

When I reach the place where Brownie is, my eyes widen as my mind processes what I'm seeing with my own two very eyes. In front of me is a lake, with a falls. The water, despite the place, is clear enough for me to see the bottom. Brownie, who has been looking at me with those yellow eyes of his, has a smug smirk on his lips and I nearly give him a hug but thought better of it since I'm sweaty. I put my bag on the ground and take off my shirt, deciding that I should put myself in the water. The lake seems safe enough as I don't feel any threats or something in the lake. But what shocks me is, why did I not feel any presence of water here when I'm supposed to? Could it because I'm just tired and exhausted?

"Thank you, Brownie." I say to Brownie and Brownie licks my chest, which somehow makes me blush. I think he's just hungry and all so I bend down, grab the biscuits that my Mom has made, and give it to Brownie, who enthusiastically eats it on my palm. After that, I smile at him and take off my slacks and shoes, even my boxers, and then swim at the lake.

This is the first time that I've done a skinny dipping. When I swim in the lake, my body immediately relaxes, the tensions leaving off my body. Today has been eventful, and I don't know what time it is right now. The weather here doesn't change. Remembering when I picked up the bag earlier where I left it, it surprised me that, except for the biscuits, the water bottles that I have brought are gone. But I didn't give much thought about it until now that I'm relaxed. I see Brownie already resting, but still in alert mode, his eyes are trained on me and a shiver runs up and down my spine. This wolf is really something. Dunking my head in the water and opening my eyes, I see that the lake is really deep. I swim for awhile until I have the strength to walk for hours again. When I lift my head, I see Brownie in the exact, same position that he has been since I put my feet in the lake. He's still looking at me with those yellow eyes of his. Walking off the lake, I get my bag and grab a spare of clothes - a white shirt and a jeans - to wear since the polo and the slacks are now smelly. I wear the clothes and walk over to where I threw the polo and slacks, and fold them, then put them inside the bag neatly.

"Hey, Brownie." I greet Brownie and he gives me a smile that shows his fangs, and it hella scares me. He gives me a lick on the face and I chuckle. I take a seat beside him and rest my head on his side. "Do you think we'll be safe here for a couple of hours? I'm tired and I want to sleep so I can fully have my strength back. And thank you for sticking with me throughout this Journey, and for saving my life earlier." He licks me again on the face, as if telling me I'm welcome, as if telling me that he'll guard me until I wake up.

I make myself comfortable on his side and shut my eyes, million thoughts running in my head like, how would I be able to survive this trip? Dad and grandfather must have been experienced the same fate as I'm experiencing right now. Brownie moves a bit to make himself comfortable and that's when the unconsciousness is greeting me. The thoughts become a dream and finally, I fall into a deep slumber.

I wake up to the exact position as I've been when I went to sleep. Brownie looks at me from the corner of his eyes, silently telling me to continue sleeping but I shake my head. I lean up and stretch my arms and yawn, then crane my neck and sigh in relief as I feel I have gained my strength back. He gives me a wolfish grin and I grin back at him. I stand up and do some exercise a bit, Brownie watching me as I do so. Walking over to where my bag is, I pick it up and look at Brownie.

"Thanks for watching out, Brownie." I say as I give him a smile. "Let's go on. Let's find some real food. I don't want you to get hungry. But first, let me just go ahead and get a water. I still have one empty bottle here in my bag." Fishing the empty water bottle in my bag, I run over to the lake, bend down, and fill the bottle up with the water lake and when it's full, I put the lid on the bottle and run over to Brownie then together, we both walk to the endless road once again.

I sling the bag over my shoulder and Brownie and I just keep walking. Every once in a while, we would look to our left and right, behind and front just to check if there are any monster or creatures following us, but so far, none. Brownie stays by my side, just three inches apart, as if he doesn't want to leave by my side and that's fine with me. At a far distance, I see some houses made of wooden and that lights up my face. Looking at Brownie, I jerk my chin towards the direction of the wooden house and we both run. The houses become large as soon as we get near them. The lights of the houses are turned on but then I stop dead in my tracks. What if this is a trapped? As if sensing my alertness, Brownie sniffs and scans the whole area with his yellow eyes and looks at me, shaking his head a bit, telling me that he hasn't sensed anything strange.

As soon as I step in, a horn blows and both Brownie and I flinch at the deafening sound that the horn is doing. When I look at the front, I see them - the creatures from earlier, but this time, they have some companion. My heart picks up a speed. From the looks of the other creature, it seems like he's just a normal person when you're looking at the creature from afar, but when you take a look closer, the creature doesn't have eyes. In fact, the creature's face doesn't have eye sockets at all. Its mouth is full of pointy fangs. The creature has three large pointy fingers and the skin is pale. Brownie snarls at them and my eyes widen, realizing that I have left my spear made of ice over the lake.

"Brownie, we need to go back to the lake." I tell Brownie but keep my gaze at the creatures in front of me. They are, like, fourteen or seventeen of them. I cannot let Brownie fight them all. Then the creatures begin to run forward whereas Brownie and I take a step back and run to the opposite direction, back to the lake. From there, we will have a higher chance of winning since there's a water around me and I can now use my powers.

Brownie growls, looking at me and I frown at him in confusion, then my mind gets the idea and I immediately jump on his back, gripping the soft fur of his and Brownie runs faster than ever. Looking back, they are still following us and as we near the lake, another creature suddenly pops up in front of us. Brownie stops and I fly up in the air, landing on the ground with a loud thud that knocks the breath out of my lungs.

Then the fighting begins.

******

What do you think will happen? Both Brownie and Dylan are seriously in trouble right now? Do you think they can handle it? Do you think they can put up a fight with those creatures? Let's wait for the next chapter to find out!