“Adam!” I said, relief washing over me as I set eyes upon my older, less wise brother. I patted on the empty seat next to me, indicating for him to sit.

      “Hey, sis, run into anyone you know?” he questioned smugly, plopping down beside me. 

      “Yeah, but they didn’t know me,” I said, thinking back to Chase and our short interaction.

      “All my friends still remember me,” he boasted, not even questioning who it was that I had run into.

      “Of course they do,” I muttered, rolling my eyes.

      When we moved out to Santa Monica, it was harder on Adam than it was on me; he was attached to his friends and his perfect life at the time. I, on the other hand, didn’t care, and rather embraced the change. I wanted to start over. For me, it was a good thing leaving when we did.

      “Julia and Adam?” a high voice called.

      “Yo!” Adam responded, jolting up as he raising his hand.

      “Go into the principal’s office, and he’ll set you both up,” a tall woman who looked like a secretary said. She wore a charcoal-colored pencil skirt, white collared shirt, and black pumps; all very professional looking.

      We wandered into the office as told and sat down in the two chairs opposite a man seated behind a grand wooden desk—the principal, I presumed.

      “Adam, wonderful to see you again! Julia, my name is Mr. Daley, and I’ll be your principal over the next few years on your journey throughout this marvelous high school!” the man said too cheerfully for my liking. It was the morning—no one should have had the ability to be that energetic before noon.

      “You too, Mr. D.!” Adam said, talking to the man as if they were old friends; which, knowing Adam, was quite possible.

      “I’ve just quickly managed to pair you, Julia, up with someone who’s going to be your buddy for the day,” Mr. Daley informed me. He took a sip from a black mug, simmering with steam, that led me to the conclusion that the man, much like the majority of Americans, may have had an addiction to coffee—the source of his energy. 

      “Who?” I barely managed to ask, fearing that it would be someone I knew from my past.

      “Aiden Heath,” he said lightly, as if it was nothing. Aiden. Heath. Having Aiden Heath be my “buddy” for the day was yet another example of why the universe truly hated me. First Chase, then Aiden, who was next, Satan?

      “What about me?” Adam asked, turning the focus in the room back to his favorite person.

      “I figured, considering you were here for freshman year, you would know the building well enough to navigate for yourself,” the man explained, as Adam nodded, understanding. “Adam, you can go, Julia, Aiden should be here any minute.”

      “See ya later, sis,” Adam winked at me, leaving the room and the people in it. Well, abandoning his sister in her time of need was definitely one thing he could now cross off of his bucket list.

      A few minutes of awkward silence later, I heard the door swing open behind me, and in walked Mr. Aiden Heath himself. When my eyes landed on him, I analyzed that he looked about the same as he did two years ago; messy, brown hair, penetrating, deep, brown eyes, and a very toned physique. The kid was pretty darn attractive, I wasn’t one to deny it.

      “Yo! Mr. D., I’m here,” he said, sloppily flopping down on the seat that had been deserted by Adam moments before.

      “Aiden, this is Julia—” Mr. Daley began.