Chapter 40 - Spy

Beginne am Anfang

"Hello, Professor Snape," I said politely and tried to smile but I couldn't find it in my heart. Snape didn't seem to be able to find it in his heart to, like, do something, even move his head to answer. he remained cold as ice as always. "Why am I wanted here?" I got into the point.

"There are a few things you have to know, dear," said Tonks.

"Something happened, am I right?" I hurried. "Is everyone okay?"

"Nothing bad has happened; not yet," said Lupin.

"Yet?" A noise came from the back of my throat. "Yet?" I repeated clearly.

No one really answered and everyone looked at nothing but me.

"Severus?" said Sirius for Snape to start talking.

"I bring you news from your father." He's not my father! I desperately thought. "He learned about your escape. He was not happy but neither was he sad. Angry would be the best word to put his feelings down with."

"Was anyone hurt?" I jumped up impatiently.

"No. But he is not happy at all."

"He gave me a choice," I said.

"And he warned you about not choosing to become a Death Eater. He did tell you he would fight you, if you didn't follow him."

"Exactly. He gave me a choice and I made up my mind. We made a deal. The consequences are quite clear to me. I know what I chose." I answered.

"However, you are his daughter. And the Dark Lord does not make deals."

"What Severus is trying to say is that Voldemort is giving you a second chance."

"A chance?"

"That's right. He offers as much time as you need and warns you to consider his offer wisely. Rejecting him yet again, would mean death to you," said Snape.

"Voldemort does not give second chances. I don't want to believe this is just a father instinct; that would be absurd. There must be a good enough reason for him to give me a second chance," I frowned.

"The simple truth is that he wants you to surrender yourself," stated Snape.

"What?"

"Annalise, here is how things are; your mother was quite a person in her days, as you well know, and with a great influence on the wizarding world. Of course, everyone knows that Voldemort killed her but that doesn't mean that you weren't left behind. If it was your will, Annalise, you could gladly influence whoever you wanted, just by using your mother's name; I hope that's clear. Now, Voldemort would be a fool, if he could have a claim in such a powerful voice and not use it. As a matter of fact, he doesn't need you more than he needs his followers," said Sirius.

"So you think that he wants me on his side so that he can gain more followers?"

"Exactly. And he wants the people to see that you are doing this with your own free will, not that you were forced into it," said Lupin.

"I don't understand; my mother fought against Voldemort. What makes you think that the people will trust me and not just think that I'm a traitor and nothing like my mother?"

"Trust me, Anne, there are some that would blindly follow you to the grave. I don't think you understand what power you possess. It's that power that Voldemort seeks," said Sirius.

"But I haven't influenced anyone in my whole life!"

"Yet," added Sirius quickly. "This world needs a strong personality, a person with vision, that happens to have the right name. You happen to have both."

I sat in my chair and considered all this new information. I guess it would be okay to say that I couldn't cope with it, but that was far from true. I believed every word and knew it was true, accepting everything as facts.

"It just seems so out of character for him. This whole 'influence' thing doesn't seem like enough of a reason for him to give me another chance. He seemed like the man that doesn't give second chances," I thought out loud.

"The Dark Lord is simply not stupid," Severus said flatly. "He didn't really expect you to stay put in the Malfoy Manor nor that the Malfoy boy is enough to make you a Death Eater," he said, embarrassing me in front of the whole Order. But no one even blinked at his comment. It seemed like everyone knew about my love life, and it now seemed like that love life had a role in this meeting.

"Whether he knows that you wouldn't change your values that easily or really believes that you are Ministry-brain-washed is quite unimportant to him," Severus continued. "The truth is, he is a very clever man and he doesn't have as much of a temper as you think he does. We will wait for you."

"Anne, I wish there was another way to put this down but here it goes. The Order is getting weaker by the minute, the same way Voldemort gains power. There is only so much we can give, so much we can handle. We have no weapons against him, no more cards to play. Frankly, we think that you're the ace that has been missing for our pack of cards," said Lupin.

"Whatever do you mean?"

"Anne. The Order needs you to use the second chance you were given," Lupin spoke as if he was forced into it, as if he didn't want to reveal the truth.

"You mean you want me to become a Death Eater?"

"Oh, Merlin's beard, no! Do not even think that. To put it plainly, we need you to use up the time that has been given to you for our advantage. Make this time your weapon so it can never hurt you," said Tonks.

"You don't want me to give an answer, then," I realised.

"Exactly!" said Lupin. "Always with great precaution, we want you to simply say you haven't chosen yet. Quite simply. Use up the time you're given to-" he stopped.

"You want me to spy on the enemy, don't you?"

No one spoke. Everyone kept staring at each other, hardly believing this was the plan Dumbledore had set. A twisted plan, it seemed.

I took a minute to consider the idea. The Order was asking a 15-year-old girl to spy on the evilest person in this world. This was actually Dumbledore's decision, none the less. It seemed rather odd that they would trust me with a mission like this but the truth was, I had neither the time nor the energy to bother with any suspicions. If this was the only way I could help, I would do it.

"I'm in," I said.

*     *     *

Vote & Comment & Follow

💙💙💙💙