Jae (DAY6) : The Promise he made [Part 1]

"Jina-ah," your bestfriend, Min Hee says. "stop staring."

You chew onto your bottom lip, slightly pouting as you reluctantly pull your attention away from him.

"What's the point of staring at him?" she says with a sigh. "It's not like he's going to notice you."

Min Hee is always this straightforward and you are used to it now, her words do not really hurt you as much anymore.

"I can't help it." you say and lean your weight against the lockers.

Min Hee gives an assuring smile and pats you on your shoulder. "It will get better, I promise."

You bade goodbye to her while she rushes off to the office since she is the president of the school council. And here you are, alone without any help. Unknowingly, your eyes go towards him again.

Min Hee is the only one who knows how deep in love you are with Jae. You have known him since elementary school but the relationship slowly fades away when he has to leave for Los Angeles. He is only back a few weeks ago. You never expect him to return, but you are still glad.

Your foot pace speeds up as the sound of the clock ticks in your head. It is the first day of your second year in college. With your mind filled with determination to not be late the previosu night, the alarm clock betrayed you. You huff and puff, still grudging on the alarm clock from the incident earlier. Your arms wrap around the thick stack of books, holding them close to your chest. Shuffling with your footsteps past the unusual crowd, you take a quick glimpse at your watch. You are too frustrated to even bother about the crowd. 

.

"What is she doing?"

"Really..."

"Who does she think she is?"

You open your eyes and a blurry vision greets you. Wait, where are your glasses? Without knowing that you are in the middle of the crowd, you begin searching for your glasses. "My glasses--" 

You gasp when a foot lands on your glasses, crushing them into pieces. "M-my glasses.." you croak. 

"Isn't she going to stand up?" you hear a voice say from the crowd and several scoffs follow.

You squint your eyes around the surroundings and finally realise the situation. Crap. You are screwed, totally. And on the first day of school. A hand reaches out and you stare at it. It does not look like a girl's hand, you are sure despite your short-sighted vision.

"Stand up."

Hesitantly, you place your hand on his and a force tugs you up on your feet. You gasp when you almost lost your balance again. 

Shit, your books.

"Nerd." the voice says for a second time.

You raise your head and stare at the tall figure. He is one head taller than you and it is certainly a familiar height. His voice, too. It reminds you of someone. 

"Y-you crushed m-my glasses..." you stutter. It is barely audible and comes out as a mummur.

You hear a couple of laughter erupting from the crowd and your fingers tug on the hem of your skirt.

It does not help that you are shy, much less socialble. You are suffering from social anxiety and to be standing in the middle of the crowd without your glasses may actually be better. Though you are not able to see the faces of everyone, you know their gazes are burning on you.