Chapter 46 - The Hearing

Start from the beginning

"Sophialine betrayed us by leaving the Ministry for Him Who Must Not Be Named," answered Umbridge.

"We all know that Sophialine didn't know his true identity. Not to mention how quickly she escaped when she realized who the father of her child was. And we all know that she sacrificed herself for her beliefs; that's the reason the Dark Lord killed her! She stayed true to the Ministry – and of course her daughter – until the very end," the slim woman continued arguing.

"Let me get this straight, then. If the scale shows equality, then we are to base our choices and the future and fate of our world on what a fifteen-year-old girl claims to believe. Am I the only person in this Court Room who finds this scenario a little more naive than it needs to be in order for our world to be kept in peace? What is more, we've seen great witches and wizards changing combats, after all - most of you will agree with me when I say that Sophialine Mcgregory was one of them. I would expect no less than a girl, a fifteen-year-old and naive girl," said Umbridge.

"Exactly what would you suggest then? Lock away a teenager just in case?" The lady wouldn't stop at her strategically planned words.

"Last time I checked the Ministry was taking no risks on such matters!"

"The Ministry is also supposed to protect the innocent, protect people who have done nothing wrong," another man from the Court spoke. I had many friends here, it seemed.

"So according to all of you, we are to leave a threat free? A possible threat, yes, but still a threat! Measures are to be taken in such cases," Umbridge almost shouted. "I leave this up to you, Cornelius."

"Very well. From now on, Miss Riddle, will be closely followed and remain under observation. The whole staff will take care of this, I want all the teachers informed and I want two Aurors staying at Hogwarts for the next two months. She shall be followed everywhere she goes. And if she creates any problem associated to her father then it'll be obvious what we'll have to do. We will have to take her to Azkaban were the Dementors will take care of her. But until proved guilty, the Ministry cannot take action. I would also expect the Aurors to hand in a full report every week; I want every move, every behavior reported. Now, I consider this case closed for now."

My heart started beating normally again. Mrs Umbridge, however, was not satisfied by the Minister's decision. She looked upon me with hate as she left the court room. I knew she would do anything so that she makes it look like I've done something wrong. She would do anything to send me to Azkaban.

But what concerned me even more was that Dumbledore didn't show up to defend me. I had read all over the papers that in Harry's hearing, back in August, he attended and tried to prove Harry right. Why would he do this for Harry and not do it for his goddaughter?

*     *     *

"Good morning, Miss Riddle?" I saw Lucius standing just outside the courtroom. I wondered if he was waiting for me. I knew he was working here but it seemed odd that he was here at this time.

"Hello, Mr Malfoy,"

He gave me a forced smile but I could see the same fear in his eyes as if he was talking to Voldemort himself.

Right now I had a mixed role in the enemy combat; I was asked by the Order to work as a spy as much as I could, use up the time Voldemort had given me to choose whether or not I wanted to be a Death Eater for the Order's benefit. Yet now, and under the effect of the Truth Serum, I had confessed that I had no intention of becoming one. That was certainly something that Lucius would not forget and soon enough Voldemort would know all about it. With the recent events, I didn't know how to play things with Lucius.